Big Wood Sheds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Big Wood Sheds
Loaded about 3.5 cords of BK food into the shed

Big Wood Sheds
The front seat view

Beautiful wood shed. I’m envious.

Very nice looking shed. That volume of wood is what I call “January”. Where’s February, March, and April?
The shed holds 8 cord total, I figured I would alternate my measly 4 cord usage a year plus have my other splits drying on pallets in the yard. I developed a production / marinate line

Reactions: mountain man 2
The shed holds 8 cord total, I figured I would alternate my measly 4 cord usage a year plus have my other splits drying on pallets in the yard. I developed a production / marinate line

Awesome. This is what has me stalled on my own shed project, planning enough storage volume while keeping pull-thru accessibility for the small farm wagon that I use for hauling and storing wood at the house.

Big Wood Sheds Big Wood Sheds

I started with planned row housing, similar to yours, but three rows of 4 x 100 feet each. Then I bought a big tandem axle trailer for hauling wood and tractors, started storing that at the wood lot, and changed my plan to a 24 x 36 foot pavilion to keep the trailer under roof. Then I got this wagon, and realized the rows work better than a pavilion, so I guess I’m back to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. This is what has me stalled on my own shed project, planning enough storage volume while keeping pull-thru accessibility for the small farm wagon that I use for hauling and storing wood at the house.

I started with planned row housing, similar to yours, but three rows of 4 x 100 feet each. Then I bought a big tandem axle trailer for hauling wood and tractors, started storing that at the wood lot, and changed my plan to a 24 x 36 foot pavilion to keep the trailer under roof. Then I got this wagon, and realized the rows work better than a pavilion, so I guess I’m back to that.
You have a "volume" situation which compounds with mud season, If I were you i'd buy another trailer and have one loaded for mud season stand-by up by your work shop. I really like the train station platform wood shed, wood pillars down the center with the overhang going 6ft on each side.

I'd be thinking shed with conveyor system with that volume. Or more likely a wood fired hot water boiler system.

I love the spare trailer idea, but at the cost of these trailers (over $1k each), I might do better just stacking a cord or two on the high ground by my barn each year.

Hadn’t considered an aisle down the middle pavilion. It would drive up the sq.ft. requirement a bit to fit my trailer and several cords under it, but not totally out of the question.

@begreen, you know the situation with the boiler. There’s no way I’m doing this much work to hide the fire in basement boiler room! I want to sit by a wood stove, at least for now.

View attachment 226449 View attachment 226450

Love that dump trailer, gotta get me one!

Ashful, from the photo it looks like you have turf tires on your tractor. Have you considered tire chains, R-4's or even R-1's?

R-4's are a little more aggressive and won't tear your yard up in the summer. R-1's will usually paw there way through some serious muck but are not well suited to yard work.

Ashful, from the photo it looks like you have turf tires on your tractor. Have you considered tire chains, R-4's or even R-1's?

R-4's are a little more aggressive and won't tear your yard up in the summer. R-1's will usually paw there way through some serious muck but are not well suited to yard work.
I have r-4's on my machine and I second that, they really don't tare the grass up unless its really wet, plus they provide decent traction in the woods & snow.

That’s not a bad way to go for some folks, but it’s more my OCD-driven desire to not mess up an expensive lawn, than just the tractor getting stuck. Besides, what would we do with the 5000 lb trailer full of wood I’m towing behind that little 2500 lb tractor?

Back when I chose to go with turf tires, I did plan ahead, and bought chains for all four corners. I’ve only needed them once, tho.

Big Wood Sheds

Ashful - Is that an 855? 955? I picked up an 855 with 650 hours several months ago to manage my small acreage. It's been good to me so far...and quite a bit cheaper than buying new! Can't say I'm a big fan of the odd bucket profile, but it does the job.

Ashful - Is that an 855? 955? I picked up an 855 with 650 hours several months ago to manage my small acreage. It's been good to me so far...and quite a bit cheaper than buying new! Can't say I'm a big fan of the odd bucket profile, but it does the job.

Yep, 855 MFWD with 52 loader (most use the lighter 70 loader), and Power Beyond rear hydraulic kit to drive a backhoe or hydraulic dump wagon. Good little machine, although my loader has a lot of hours on it, so it’s a little sloppy in the pins.

My bucket is about 1/3 yard, too small for moving mulch but plenty big enough when moving topsoil, given the weight of this machine. I think I’m around 1300 hours, as best as I can figure it.

Mine has the 70A loader. I feel like could overload the front axle with the box blade counterweight out back. The wide bucket is nice for moving snow, but harder to load bark and scraps from the splitting area :rolleyes: Nice unit for a small compact - I won't complain!

I’d be surprised if you could break that front end with anything the hydraulic bypass on this machine will let you lift on the loader. I abuse mine pretty badly, and it was used hard for 25 years at a nursery, loading bulk material into customer vehicles. I keep a ballast box on the back of mine much of the time, which helps balance the loader in a more compact form than a box blade. It also helps take weight off the front axle (since it’s cantelevered out off the back axle), and gives me a handy way to carry yard tools, cant hook, whatever.

Big Wood Sheds

I have 12 cord in the old crib, it got a new paint job after it was full & so now the outside chunks, top of the top rows & ends of some of wood have a new white paint job as well. I was unaware that it was scheduled to be painted. Lots of overspray. Maybe I can sell it as “white oak”? Lol

Attachments

• Big Wood Sheds
    F91F60D9-B486-4380-877A-A2D914527DF4.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Big Wood Sheds
    DE01F787-5DAF-4AC2-8E7D-D9892ED6C7E1.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 486
  • Big Wood Sheds
    0C338C37-6B1E-4005-8B92-BC54C8BA88C4.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 481
  • Big Wood Sheds
    0E02E5E9-9533-4C9A-B448-7F1BFA1E3DAD.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 484
  • Big Wood Sheds
    BFC17153-1178-4334-AD79-501074B02EAD.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 443
I’d be surprised if you could break that front end with anything the hydraulic bypass on this machine will let you lift on the loader. I abuse mine pretty badly, and it was used hard for 25 years at a nursery, loading bulk material into customer vehicles. I keep a ballast box on the back of mine much of the time, which helps balance the loader in a more compact form than a box blade. It also helps take weight off the front axle (since it’s cantelevered out off the back axle), and gives me a handy way to carry yard tools, cant hook, whatever.

I would like to think Deere (or is it Yanmar) engineers would design the axle to carry a lot more than a loader or other front end attachment would subject it to. The axle just looks so small...but then the whole tractor looks small! A 3-point ballast box would be nice, but I just blew my implement budget on a rake. The box blade isn't too bad for maneuvering and works to carry tools around the yard as well. Now the rake - that thing hangs off the back a ways. I already knocked over the end of one wood pile while cleaning up my splitting area. Ooops! Takes a little getting used to.

In an attempt to keep this relative to the OP's topic, I'd like to build a large woodshed that include an enclosed cold storage area. One where I can keep some of my more seasonal toys and free up some space in the shop. I've got one design drawn up in CAD and now need to shoehorn it into my intended building site. This would be a project intended for 2019.

I’ve been dreaming of a drive thru wood shed with storage on both sides. One side for ready to burn and the other side for almost ready to burn. I’ve been building the “beehive” stacks on the property with green wood. I figure they can sit for two years then go into my dream wood shed.

New floor in the wood shed...
Big Wood Sheds

Ready for loading...
.Big Wood Sheds

We inherited a few delapidated out buildings when we bought this property two years ago and we're trying to squeeze a few more years out of them before we tear down and rebuild them. This shelter on the side of the chicken coop holds about five and half cords.

Reactions: JimBear