BEV Pickup Trucks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No and am afraid to ask…
I was very briefly all gung-ho about replacing our prior sports wagon with a BEV SUV... until I saw the initial cost. This was in 2020, so maybe the ratio has closed a bit, but I was looking at BEV's for $110k that lacked basic features and capability found on $65k ICE's. The gap closes somewhat when figuring TCO, but still not entirely in our case... that's an awful big gap to close with $100 fuel per month and a $45 oil change once per year. I'm not keeping the car 40 years.

Even if equal, I was looking at 5-seater BEV's with limited storage and towing, versus 7-seater ICE's with more storage and capacity to tow all of my trailers, for nearly double the price?

Reactions: tlc1976 and Shank
For chits and giggles I checked vroom and carvana to price my ioniq 5, it dropped price by 10k from Last week.

They reacted quickly with relative to Tesla price drop. bummer

For shits and giggles I checked vroom and carvana to price my ioniq 5, it dropped price by 10k from Last week.

The EV fora are reporting today that used EV prices have dropped dramatically across makes.

I am still glad I leased my 22 Bolt. :)

Next step is I expect that Ford will see some heavier cancellations on their wait lists... and will reopen taking orders.... before also dropping prices.

Reactions: boomfire
The EV fora are reporting today that used EV prices have dropped dramatically across makes.

I am still glad I leased my 22 Bolt. :)

Next step is I expect that Ford will see some heavier cancellations on their wait lists... and will reopen taking orders.... before also dropping prices.
Lets hope this is the case. For all of us. Reality check. Perhaps?

For shits and giggles I checked vroom and carvana to price my ioniq 5, it dropped price by 10k from Last week.

There is talk that there is a car loan crisis brewing. They’ve been saying that for a while. But used car prices are dropping fast from their peak as new inventory builds a the rising interest rates decrease purchasing power. I do think any new ICE purchased now will see larger than average depreciation as demand for BEVs grows. The new and used EV tax credit will have impacts on valuations.

Reactions: Shank and boomfire
I was very briefly all gung-ho about replacing our prior sports wagon with a BEV SUV... until I saw the initial cost. This was in 2020, so maybe the ratio has closed a bit, but I was looking at BEV's for $110k that lacked basic features and capability found on $65k ICE's. The gap closes somewhat when figuring TCO, but still not entirely in our case... that's an awful big gap to close with $100 fuel per month and a $45 oil change once per year. I'm not keeping the car 40 years.

Even if equal, I was looking at 5-seater BEV's with limited storage and towing, versus 7-seater ICE's with more storage and capacity to tow all of my trailers, for nearly double the price?
Model X price drop.

BEV Pickup Trucks

I do think any new ICE purchased now will see larger than average depreciation as demand for BEVs grows.
Remember that ICE manufacturing is stopping after this year on many makes/models. There's a good chance this could cause pricing to spike for awhile, if demand for ICE's stays nearly where it is, and supply drops out.

But $109,990 is almost exactly what was being quoted for the old 2020 Model X Performance Edition? I guess they don't have that specific configuration anymore, but would the Dual Motor AWD have been slightly less in 2020?

Remember that ICE manufacturing is stopping after this year on many makes/models. There's a good chance this could cause pricing to spike for awhile, if demand for ICE's stays nearly where it is, and supply drops out.

But $109,990 is almost exactly what was being quoted for the old 2020 Model X Performance Edition? I guess they don't have that specific configuration anymore, but would the Dual Motor AWD have been slightly less in 2020?
You’re looking at the wrong one;). 119k$ for the plaid. Yeah probably. Inflation…. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. If spending 100k plus and like to fast I dont find an equivalent to the plaid. You just have to deal with Model X build and engineering quality.

You’re looking at the wrong one;). 119k$ for the plaid. Yeah probably. Inflation…. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. If spending 100k plus and like to fast I dont find an equivalent to the plaid. You just have to deal with Model X build and engineering quality.
Oh, got it. Yeah, I wasn't looking at Plaid, in fact I don't recall it even being an option for that model in 2020. This was a vehicle for my wife to drive, and while she likes "sporty", I've never been able to convince her of the necessity of spending extra for extreme performance options. Some people just don't get it... ;lol

Had a Durango SRT priced out for comparison, but she punted and ordered an R/T while I wasn't looking. Nice car, but would be nicer with an extra 110 hp.

Reactions: EbS-P
Chevy Silverado EV WT with 450 mi range is looking good. not a fan of the 'look'.

I am torn between Cybertruck (not so great range but not terrible either), silverado ev and gmc denali ev. finally great to have choices.
Although slightly leaning towards cybertruck.

I got to put my finger prints on a Cyber truck today.
It’s really something. It monstrous but then it’s not. It grew on me the hour I was sitting in the waiting room. so here is my take. Huge amounts of money were spent in R & D and the assembly line. It will probably start making money late this year or early next. At 250k units a year it’s not a volume production line but… how about in 5 years. Could it be priced competitively? An LFP battery and AWD that’s like 450 HP and 600 lb ft. Yeah I think it could. Tesla has not yet folded to the new model release like all other manufacturers.

One aspect that I didn’t realize until today is how massive the dash is. It’s the size of our first dining room table. No joke! If you loose something up there all the way by the glass you better have a grabber to get it back. One drove by the house today. They grab attention on the road. One of the sales team members was wiping it down hourly.

Reactions: woodgeek
It’s really something. It monstrous but then it’s not. It grew on me the hour I was sitting in the waiting room. so here is my take. Huge amounts of money were spent in R & D and the assembly line. It will probably start making money late this year or early next. At 250k units a year it’s not a volume production line but… how about in 5 years. Could it be priced competitively? An LFP battery and AWD that’s like 450 HP and 600 lb ft. Yeah I think it could. Tesla has not yet folded to the new model release like all other manufacturers.

One aspect that I didn’t realize until today is how massive the dash is. It’s the size of our first dining room table. No joke! If you loose something up there all the way by the glass you better have a grabber to get it back. One drove by the house today. They grab attention on the road. One of the sales team members was wiping it down hourly.

how far do you live from a tesla service station

how far do you live from a tesla service station
2:15minutes. 136 miles. Yesterday was painless. But in general it’s a PITA.

yikes, i am about 2 hours away.

do you ever utilize tesla mobile service at all?
It’s only been an option for a camera upgrade and the mobile tech installed the wrong parts and or didn’t get the triple cam mounted correctly. Everything else was big shop jobs. Front axels and control arms, window regulator and onboard charger.

Came home with a spare 12 volt battery because I don’t trust that they could actually get to me before it died and locked me out (or in)

Reactions: boomfire
Yeah BEV trucks can be practical. If you only want to climb pikes peak.

just saw one in person.

Interior is underwhelming. exterior looks great, finger prints doesn't bother me.

you are right about the dash, not a fan of how things can roll down and would need a grabber, especially when you are driving and a passenger puts like a phone (on braking it slides all the way to the end).

also not a fan of the truck bed and how the front side is angled, i get why they did that, but they could've easily built it normal.

I really like it. there are lots of minor details that makes me pause about 100k + taxes for the foundation series. If it was 80k, with ev credit sure (dont know how long the ev credits will last)

I've spotted 4 cybertrucks IRL so far... first one in PA last night. The others were 2 in Sarasota FL in 4 days, and 1 in Traverse City MI in 4 days. 2 of the 4 were wrapped.

just saw one in person.

Interior is underwhelming. exterior looks great, finger prints doesn't bother me.

you are right about the dash, not a fan of how things can roll down and would need a grabber, especially when you are driving and a passenger puts like a phone (on braking it slides all the way to the end).

also not a fan of the truck bed and how the front side is angled, i get why they did that, but they could've easily built it normal.

I really like it. there are lots of minor details that makes me pause about 100k + taxes for the foundation series. If it was 80k, with ev credit sure (dont know how long the ev credits will last)
I think the AWD version will be 79.9 k with a tax credit. When they ramp production I wonder what demand will be. It’s not a cheaply built truck. And probably has a good profit margin at full scale production.

Evidiently, insurance rates on the CT are sky high due to very high repair costs. For the cost, other than the vanity factor, there are better all around BEV trucks and more coming.