Best way to redistribute heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indiana wood

Nov 30, 2019
Warsaw Indiana
I have a blaze king ultra installed in my basement. What are the best ways you guys have found to redistribute that heat to the next level. Ranch style house.

From what I hear: in each room cut 2 holes On separate sides of the room in the floor and install grate. On one of the holes build a box going from it to almost the floor of the basement.

From what I hear: in each room cut 2 holes On separate sides of the room in the floor and install grate. On one of the holes build a box going from it to almost the floor of the basement.
Unfortunately cutting holes will not be an option I would have to move the warm air with blowers or fans to the upstairs

You have to push cold air toward the stove and the hot air will rise. You can’t blow hot air into cold air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the stove located in relationship to the stairwell? Is the basement wide open? Are the basement walls insulated?

Ok, not ideal. The stove is an area heater and it sounds like the area you want to heat is a floor above.

The warm air wants to convect up the stairwell but it has to travel a bit to get there. A fan, on the floor, pointed downward will push more cooler upstair air to the basement. This will be replaced with warm air at the top of the doorway. If you tape a strip of toilet paper to the top of the doorway you can see this in action.

Ok, not ideal. The stove is an area heater and it sounds like the area you want to heat is a floor above.

The warm air wants to convect up the stairwell but it has to travel a bit to get there. A fan, on the floor, pointed downward will push more cooler upstair air to the basement. This will be replaced with warm air at the top of the doorway. If you tape a strip of toilet paper to the top of the doorway you can see this in action.
So I’m just trying to understand how this works right now I have a 10 inch duct fan blowing into my central air unit to push hot air upstairs it doesn’t sound like maybe it works that way am I trying to pour cold air down and let the hot air naturally convect? The duck fan is about eight or 10 feet from the woodstove on the ceiling trying to pull the hot air from the ceiling above the stove into the central heating unit upstairs

So I’m just trying to understand how this works right now I have a 10 inch duct fan blowing into my central air unit to push hot air upstairs it doesn’t sound like maybe it works that way am I trying to pour cold air down and let the hot air naturally convect? The duck fan is about eight or 10 feet from the woodstove on the ceiling trying to pull the hot air from the ceiling above the stove into the central heating unit upstairs
Sorry it’s a little jumbled using talk to text

Sorry it’s a little jumbled using talk to text
LOL. How is the ducted rig working? Often heat loss through the ducts negates the gains. HVAC ducts are designed typically to move hotter air. Or it could be that this system is pushing back through the furnace into the return duct system because there is no backdraft damper.

It general it's easier to move cold air than hot. Cold air is denser.

LOL. How is the ducted rig working? Often heat loss through the ducts negates the gains. HVAC ducts are designed typically to move hotter air. Or it could be that this system is pushing back through the furnace into the return duct system because there is no backdraft damper.

It general it's easier to move cold air than hot. Cold air is denser.
Well I’m not going to say it works well but it does work somewhat but like you said I don’t think it’s my best solution how do I move cold air unfortunately my cold air ducks in this 2003 built house are at the ceiling and not at the floor