Best Way to Clean 6" Flexpipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sr73087

Dec 20, 2016
SW CT
I purchased a 316Ti Chimney Champion Easy Flex Chimney Liner Kit - 6" last fall. I also bought the Gardus RCH205-B SootEater Rotary Chimney Cleaning System based on a few members recommendations. I planned on cleaning the unit from the top down this weekend. I was going to pull the stove out alittle, disconnect the tee and tape a trash bag to the pipe to eliminate any mess from cleaning below.

Does this sound like a good way of going about cleaning this for the first time?

Freestanding stove in a fireplace?

Without seeing it I couldn’t say for sure. With these old stoves especially each setup is totally different.

Does this sound like a good way of going about cleaning this for the first time?
If you can do it safely and access to the chimney is good then it should be ok. Tape the bag to the tee. You don't want it letting loose while you are sweeping. The horizontal run to the tee will also need to be cleaned.

Without seeing it I couldn’t say for sure. With these old stoves especially each setup is totally different.

This was how the pervious owner had it setup. Very similar at my house.

Attachments

• Best Way to Clean 6" Flexpipe
    IMG_6236.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 106
If you can do it safely and access to the chimney is good then it should be ok. Tape the bag to the tee. You don't want it letting loose while you are sweeping. The horizontal run to the tee will also need to be cleaned.

I would think going from top to bottom, as long as you can safely do it, would always be cleaner, no soot and dirt coming down toward you and with the taped bag you can better contain everything. Is this not always the case? This is only year two for me with the stove so any pointers are appreciated.

I would leave everything closed up, sweep it from above then vacuum out the Tee without removing the stove. I’m assuming you can see through the flue collar into the Tee?
If you can see the Tee you could probably spin it through the stove.

No I can't access the tee without removing the stove. There is a chamber at the rear of the stove in front of the stove's rear exit that can not be removed as far as I can tell.

At least the stove doesn’t weigh hardly anything. Shouldn’t be too bad.