Best place for chain saw chains.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Looking to get good 24 inch 84 3/4 .050 semi chisel chain. The navigation on a amazon and ebay somewhat confusing, giving me a random results. Can someone recommend a place to get quality professional chain? Thank you.

Frawleys Saw Shop usually has good prices & prompt shipping.

Stahls

Amicks

Reactions: Deets
Hl supply or Comstock

Go to a store with premade, packaged chain that you want. Get the exact part number. Go back to amazon and search for that.

Or, just go buy it at the local saw shop. Unless you’re a pro who should have a good relationship with his saw shop anyway, you won’t go through chains very fast unless you like to cut stumps out of the ground or saw dirt. On my 28” bar with skip chain I can cut an entire years supply of wood, 5.5 cords, with just one sharpening if I practice good saw skills and keep it out of dirt. Then when I do sharpen it on a cheap grinder I am careful to not take off too much material.

Buy 2-3 pro chains, use good skills, and they may outlast your saw!

How much chain is on a spool? Do you need expensive tools to cut/join it?

Go to a store with premade, packaged chain that you want. Get the exact part number. Go back to amazon and search for that.

Or, just go buy it at the local saw shop. Unless you’re a pro who should have a good relationship with his saw shop anyway, you won’t go through chains very fast unless you like to cut stumps out of the ground or saw dirt. On my 28” bar with skip chain I can cut an entire years supply of wood, 5.5 cords, with just one sharpening if I practice good saw skills and keep it out of dirt. Then when I do sharpen it on a cheap grinder I am careful to not take off too much material.

Buy 2-3 pro chains, use good skills, and they may outlast your saw!

How much chain is on a spool? Do you need expensive tools to cut/join it?
You don’t need part numbers for chain, you need to know gauge, pitch, and drive link count.

5.5 cords worth of wood without sharpening your chain is crazy.

I have 100’ spools of chain, the tools to break and spin it are cheap. I run mostly 3/8 .050 on all my saws, except for the big boys. They get .404

Best place for chain saw chains.

Easier to buy 100’ at time when ya got a lot of bars to chain. Lol

I have been collecting chains from the metal dump for years,probably have 200 chains hanging on screws on a board
Bought a 5 gallon bucket full at a yard pick a couple of years ago,got thrown in with a pile of other saw stuff.
Got a half 5 gal bucket full with 30 bars at another garage sale.
Haven't bought a chain in 25 years,but have been lucky enough to find Stihl chains for all my personal saws.The saws i sell get other chains that are trued up on my grinder,sometimes i will include a extra sharpened chain.
For my other hobby i got a 2x72 belt grinder,the bonus of this grinder is i can true up bars that have been wore crooked. If you are careful you can get right near the tip in between sprocket teeth.
You should see the stack of bars that have come from the metal dump.
Got the tools to break and splice chain,plus a small collection of presets and straps
The most money i spent was on my 2x72 but it was bought for a different purpose,got my Stihl grinder for $175.00 delivered for a barely used grinder with wheels.
Watch for deals and you can get your tools for pennies on the dollar.

You could also go to home depot and get the used chain's off their rental saws. They put a new chain when you rent one and throw it away when you bring it back. They are just cheap safety chain but free is free. I have filed the drags down on a couple I got and they do ok.

Looking to get good 24 inch 84 3/4 .050 semi chisel chain. The navigation on a amazon and ebay somewhat confusing, giving me a random results. Can someone recommend a place to get quality professional chain? Thank you.
Go to your local dealer.

Reactions: johneh and bholler