Battery back up and shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve been a millwright long enough to know, right or wrong, arguing with an engineer is a lost cause

I’ve been a millwright long enough to know, right or wrong, arguing with an engineer is a lost cause

Not a matter of "argument." The OP's requirement was for automatic shut down.

The fact is the only way for automatic shut down is to use a SQUARE wave UPS.

If you run a sine UPS, YOUR STOVE will NOT auto shut down.

We can argue sine and square inverter applications until we are blue in the face. For Harman stoves, sine UPSs DO NOT provide auto shut down.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The recommended units use a modified sinusoidal wave form.

The recommended units use a modified sinusoidal wave form.

The recommended units are PWM, being more similar to square than sine.

Regardless, non-pure sine informs your Harman stove to begin emergency shutdown mode...

If sine, no emergency shut down mode...

I get that, i understand what your saying but no apc uses square wave.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I get that, i understand what your saying but no apc uses square wave.

The conversation was muddied by inverter talk and they make square inverters. Using a square inverter achieves the same goal of the OP to have his stove enter "emergency shut down mode." I would have zero issue running a square inverter on any Harman stove.

Well, I replicated a power failure with my NON PSW APC battery back up. YEP! Distribution blower stopped, and exhaust blower pulsed. This went on for about 30 minutes before the fire was out in the burn pot. I am now confident to leave the stove running during a storm or high winds.

Well, I replicated a power failure with my NON PSW APC battery back up. YEP! Distribution blower stopped, and exhaust blower pulsed. This went on for about 30 minutes before the fire was out in the burn pot. I am now confident to leave the stove running during a storm or high winds.

Beautiful! Glad to know your stove worked as intended :)

Harman says -

View attachment 267827

For Harman's "safe shut-down only," all UPS recommendations are SQUARE.
This is incorrect. The BE750G is not square, it is a stepped, modified sinewave as Ssysko has indicated. The other UPS - Tripplite Internet750U is pure sinewave.

All Harman is saying here is that they have tested these models of UPS, not that others, including pure sine wave models, won't work. They just haven't tested them. The statement that "Other brands or models may not be compatible" could possibly apply to square wave models.

Been running AIMS 1250 PSW Inverter/Charger for going on 3 years. Works great. Expensive only downside. I got 12 hours on Two 100AH Batteries. (Harmon XXV on Medium Fan Speed)

This is incorrect. The BE750G is not square, it is a stepped, modified sinewave as Ssysko has indicated. The other UPS - Tripplite Internet750U is pure sinewave.

All Harman is saying here is that they have tested these models of UPS, not that others, including pure sine wave models, won't work. They just haven't tested them. The statement that "Other brands or models may not be compatible" could possibly apply to square wave models.

Get the oscilloscope, the wave is square.

Dude the manufacturer say's it's stepped
analog or digital
ok Im ready YOU bring the inverter

Reactions: rich2500
Been running AIMS 1250 PSW Inverter/Charger for going on 3 years. Works great. Expensive only downside. I got 12 hours on Two 100AH Batteries. (Harmon XXV on Medium Fan Speed)

One more thing, it shuts down just find under UPS Battery Power. The Hopper will run out and it shuts down. Or turn the Knob (ha ha). Why only have UPS for shutdown? I want heat when it's cold

One more thing, it shuts down just find under UPS Battery Power. The Hopper will run out and it shuts down. Or turn the Knob (ha ha). Why only have UPS for shutdown? I want heat when it's cold

The OP wanted to ensure his stove did not leak smoke to the house :)