basic q's on Vermont Castings Intrepid model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2006
Hello folks, we just purchased a 36 y.o. chalet in NH. It came with the Intrepid but there is no manual or any other documentation. I had a chimney sweep clean the stove and chimney. He thought the chimney looked a little short and would be surprised if we didn't have a problem with draft. I am trying to undertand how to operate the stove properly without the manual. There is a lever on the left side of the stove which I presume is the damper. There is another lever on the left rear of the stove, more like a thin metal bar that is on a spring type mechanism, I assume this is the air intake lever. The chimney sweep told me this will adjust automatically but it always stays open since I have been using the stove. I checked the VC website and downloaded the manual for the Inrepid II, which I assume is what i have except that manual shows the damper lever on the right. Not sure if I have an Interpid II or just a plain old Intrepid. The fire seems to burn best when I leave the damper open and the air intake fully open, and the doors open with the screen in place. I know the doors should be closed for the best heat, but the fire seems to die down significantly when I close the doors. I'm not sure if this is becasue of the draft, as the chimney sweep mentioned, or just my unfamiliarity with the stove. Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of stove or suggestions as to what I should do? I don't want to go through the trouble of raising the chimney if I don't have to, but will if that will fix the problems. Thanks to all.

The catalyst is controlled by the damper. The stove needs to be in the 500* range before you engage it, otherwise it will foul the catalyst
The other lever on the back controls the air for the stove.
The doors open, and the cat damper open, with the screen is the least efficient way to operate the stove. Avoide it if you can. Your wasting wood.
You should light the stove, have the damper open for both the cat and the air, and with the doors cracked. Once the stove is lit and going, you will shut the doors and wait for it to heat up. Once you hit 500* you close the damper for the cat to force exaust through the cat. Once you ahve a mature fire, you can shut the air damper for longer burns.

Thanks for your reply! What is the best way to check the temp, put a wood stove thermometer on thop of the stove or do they sell one that goes inside? Do you think it has anything to do with teh draft or am i just beig impatient? Even after an hour or so of burning, when I close the damper the fire seems to die down.

Hi -

A thermometer on top is fine. Be patient - It may take an hour to heat the stove and the chimney to a good stable temp. I added a 3' section of Class A insulated pipe on my chimney. It drafts well and I can pluck it off to clean from the roof without a ladder.

You might look elswhere on the site to see about how to inspect the stove in the summer. Might be time for a bit of maintenance - door seals, seam sealing...

ATB,
Mike P

thanks again...I won't be back up to the chalet until the 16th/17th so the specs on the chimney will have to wait. i will post them on here after I get them though, thanks. i'll alo look for a metal thermometer.

When you get to the Chlalet go to the back of the stove and read the tag and identify your stove My intrepid two has the damper on the left side
VC recomends a 16" verticle run as minium draft length You also did not give details into what size flue you are venting into.
Another possibility if it is the older Cat II Intrepid is what is the cat condition when was the cat and cecondary combustion chamber cleaned last and d was the thermatic proble cleaned as well
If the secondary chamber is filled with fly ash it reduces air flow it fly ash will also coat the probe to making it not record the right temps and open or close the secondary air supply finally if you combustor is destroyed or filled with fly ash you are nopt going to get ignition and dampering down will retard burning like the symptons you described
There could be two issues here daraf and crove conditions either one or both are can cause your symptons

Status
Not open for further replies.