Bark Borers in the House!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Morning all,

Well, I made a rookie mistake without being so much of a rookie. Been using firewood for most of my life (from a kid helping my grandparents with their wood piles, to my cabin, etc) and have always heard not to store firewood inside of the house for fear of insects. My grandparents have always stored at least a cord inside and I too at my cabin without any ill effects, until now.

I just purchased a home which has a wonderful wood stove. As being a fellow obsessive when it comes to firewood and having lots, I ended up overfilling the outdoor storage area that I have with this home (will be improved in the future). Since I've never had problems in the past, I decided to put about a cord and a face in my basement (dry basement, partially finished) in the area of the wood stove.

The wood has been here for several months with no problems. As of a week ago, I started getting bark borers collecting on my windows and seen across the floor. I have been regularly vacuuming them and am considering moving the wood back outdoors to keep from having these unwanted guests.

My question is, will these guys only hatch once? If so, I will keep the wood in the basement where it will be used starting in late october and continue vacuuming for a while. Or, will I need to take the wood outside to prevent them from hatching again?

These are the dark brown / black beetles about 1/16 to 1/8 in in size. Several of the ash logs that I can see (this is all ash in the basement) look as though they were shot with very small bird shot.

I am frustrated as these were healthy but nuisance trees that I cut down and were previously stored outdoors in a dry and breezy area. Always done the same thing and have never had this problem before. I knew better, but thought I was doing things right with being seasoned well outdoors, especially with ash which loses its moisture quite quickly.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions. I am enjoying perusing your great site.

pen

Hi -

I'm familiar with Ash borers, and Emerald Ash Bore bugs.

The bugs you describe sound mor like powder post beetles!! I'd get them ID'd by someone who knows, and/or get the wood out ASAP.

I've had issues like this and lost a quanitiy of elm and mapple some years ago in a case like this.

ATB,
Mike P

Thanks Mike. From the descriptions I find on the internet I am not sure. Many pictures are deceiving, some appear to be a bark borer, other a powder-post. Anyone have good pictures of these?

I suppose the safest bet is to take it all back outside and put it in the yard somewhere. I hate storing wood without good permanent cover, but guess I'll just have to this time.

Has anyone else dealt with these before? I am wondering If there will only be 1 infestation/hatch? Or will they continue to hatch? If this is only short lived, and I can get the identified to make sure they will not feed on my house, then I'll live with vacuuming for a bit.

Suggestions?

Thanks again,

pen

I would suggest taking a sample to an exterminator or University Bio Dept. and getting a definite ID, and make sure that it isn't something that would eat you (litterally) out of house and home... That should also tell you how likely the little buggers are to reproduce as well.

How damp is this wood? What is the humidity in the area you have it stacked? Most bugs are fairly sensitive to moisture, or lack of it, and possibly you could discourage them by putting in a dehumidifier.

Gooserider

I have two entomologist friends that I am checking with. Even though the area is very dry for a basement (it's almost an exposed basement with a garage door that is open most days and windows in the back) a dehumidifier wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,

pen

While my degree is not in entomolgy, its in plant science, I did have to study entomolgy for that degree. I work with insects a lot because I work with plants. I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far, and that a positive id would be a very good idea. As for them starting to reproduce inside, most beetles go through an annual cycle and you most likely are fortunate enough to have the adult stage manifesting itself right in your home right now. Some guests just don't know when to go. :mad: Most likely this event will be the only one...this year! As Goose alluded to, the thousand dollar question is will they lay eggs inside, pupate in your framing and hatch out next year. I don't think that's likely but that's why a positive id certainly would be good. Better safe than sawdust! :bug:

Good luck Pen. My area, western Michigan, is getting hit hard by the Ash Borer beetle and communities are cutting alot of there Ash trees. I have had trouble with what I was told is a Wood Bee this summer, boring holes in the eaves of my cedar log home. Local pest place sprayed Delta Dust into the holes and in the nooks and crannies, and that is doing the trick. Michigan State University has an extensive website on bugs and they have pics and will answer your questions.

what kind of wood did you have in the house./

Adirondackwoodburner said:
what kind of wood did you have in the house./

Several of the ash logs that I can see (this is all ash in the basement) look as though they were shot with very small bird shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.