Bag wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
I was at Bennys today to pick up some bag wood. Insert is being installed this week and I wanted to have some wood to burn. I have 4 cords outside CSS in the woods but won't be ready till next year. I thought this wood was supposed to be dry? I split a couple and they were reading 22/25 percent? I saw bio bricks there how long do they burn?

If it was purchased cord wood at that percentage for this time of year, I'd say that you did pretty darn good. However, that bagged up wood is quite a bit more expensive. While that percentage isn't bad, it is disappointing.

Go for the bio bricks. Just because the bag wood is kiln dried, doesn't necessarily mean it's dry. The kiln drying may have been done just enough to make sure that things got up to a temp to kill any bugs present in the wood, not necessarily long enough to make sure the wood was down below 20% moisture.

Again, go for the bio bricks (you are lucky to find a place that still has some this time of year), they have decent reviews and can be mixed with that other wood for better results.

I would go the compressed wood plus some of your 22% stuff mixed together. That bagged stuff adds up to about $1200 a cord. Also be aware that the first few fires are going to be curing the paint on the insert, That can get right annoying real quick so pick a day when it isn't too cold out as you will need to open windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.