Backdraft at Startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morganp107

Oct 30, 2018
Peru, NY
Hi Folks,

I think I know the answer to this, but last night, I was starting a fire in my woodstove, and got a backdraft that filled the room with smoke. The temperature outside was 45 degrees or so, and I realized immediately afterward I had my dryer on. As soon as I turned off the dryer, the smoke started going up the chimney like normal. The only reason I bring this up, is that I have started fired before with the dryer running and have not had an issue, so I am thinking the relatively warmer outside temps played a role. Thanks for any ideas or advice.

That exact situation happened to me a year ago. Turned off the dryer and the reverse draft was eliminated. Read enough out here to identify what was happening and was able to fix it.
Congratulations - this site is great to learn about these things...

45 is plenty cold. Your “problem” was the dryer sucking on your house. Congratulations, you have a reasonably well sealed house!

Which means OP needs plenty of CO detectors as well. I'd also consider a Outside Air Kit if its not too hard to run the ducting.
5 CO detectors in house, none went off. I realized part of the issue was prior to start up, I did not open the air like I usually do to help warm up the stove/flue. Thanks for the help.

5 CO detectors in house, none went off. I realized part of the issue was prior to start up, I did not open the air like I usually do to help warm up the stove/flue. Thanks for the help.

Thats good. The CO concern is mainly when the fire is dwindling down while you are asleep and it decides to reverse draft or someone starts the dryer, the wind blows a wierd direction etc.

I just can't imagine not having an OAK for a house stove. In this case, the stove would be backdrafting out the intake into the room anytime the dryer is running. All year long. Wouldn't that stink like an old chimney? Also the obvious concern of actually sucking combustion byproducts back into the home.

I would venture to say that the majority of homes excluding mobiles do not have an OAK connection on their wood stove. Most leak enough that this is not an issue. In our old house one could run the dryer, bath fan, kitchen fan and not affect the stove noticeably.

Reactions: bholler
I would venture to say that the majority of homes excluding mobiles do not have an OAK connection on their wood stove. Most leak enough that this is not an issue. In our old house one could run the dryer, bath fan, kitchen fan and not affect the stove noticeably.
Yeah I rarely see them on stoves. I hooked one up to the princess and it didn't change a thing

Hi Folks,

I think I know the answer to this, but last night, I was starting a fire in my woodstove, and got a backdraft that filled the room with smoke. The temperature outside was 45 degrees or so, and I realized immediately afterward I had my dryer on. As soon as I turned off the dryer, the smoke started going up the chimney like normal. The only reason I bring this up, is that I have started fired before with the dryer running and have not had an issue, so I am thinking the relatively warmer outside temps played a role. Thanks for any ideas or advice.

I have an insert and the same thing happens. I just Crack a window wait a minute check with a match to see its reversed then start it up.

I have an insert and the same thing happens. I just Crack a window wait a minute check with a match to see its reversed then start it up.

I crack a window on the side it is blowing from. That helps but sometimes not enough to reverse the draft. Only happens on occasion.

… In our old house one could run the dryer, bath fan, kitchen fan and not affect the stove noticeably …

I thought the same thing. :)