Avalon 990, new q? Is a stove without legs the same as an insert in this case?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
So, seeing as the Lopi revere I had my heart all set on turned out to be a bust, I am back to the drawing board (otherwise known as Craigslist.) I see an Avalon here, they are made by Travis like Lopi, right? Are they the lower end line? This stove looks OK. Kinda like a dirty little 1950s TV...
Is this basically the Ranier, an EPA stove, or is it older than that? I don't think it's really big enough for me if it's the Ranier - 800-1800 is a big difference in heat range and my 1430 sq feet don't fall close enough to the middle there for me to think it would work. Still, wanted to put it out there and get some opinions, cause it's decent and cheap!
I really don't want to be forced to get a smoke dragon so I am looking in all the cities near here for an EPA stove! I think this is one?

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/for/1424789200.html

Or Hey, how bout this crazy thing? A GRIZZLY?
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/hsh/1430230503.html

The free standing Rainer is a model 990 and the insert is the 945. It is a good bet that the stove is EPA Phase II certed. You just have to take a ride up this way and see.

Lol, funny you should ask, we do have some but surely not anywhere near enough. We have a couple good sized stacks (but not near a cord) of OVER seasoned wood (is there such a thing?) that have been sitting for like 4-5 yrs. I know one of the stacks is in real nice dry shape - the other stack may have some rot on the bottom. I've already been counting too many chickens before they are hatched on this stove thing and have been "shopping" for a used stove too long, so getting a ton of wood would be like putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. I guess. Maybe that's not a good metaphor, it would be putting the horse before the cart? I dunno.

Thanks for the link to that stove. It's about a 5 hr drive so I will have to research and see whether it's a sure thing before going all that way... but from the pics it looks to be in quite nice shape. And since it's a make I am not familiar with I really appreciate you bringing it to my attention as a decent stove. That's what's so great about this forum, it's the only place of it's kind! Thank you.

Thanks too to Bart for the info on the Avalon. I think it's not really a big enough stove for me, and with the collar on the top I would probably have to put it too far into the fireplace to do what I think I need to do. Looks decent the way that guy did it though, with the copper collar!

So I still see that inexpensive Avalon up on ebay. Wondering if it's still there, maybe I can check next weekend.

So I ask this, Are stoves without legs, (but with blowers) really just inserts anyway? This seems like a good deal for what is out there (if it's not trashed.)
It's not the best looking thing on the block but if it's fine to run it like that and it will function just like an insert, it would certainly be my cheapest option by far for a halfway decent stove to get us through a year or two.

(BTW I prefer the one that Mellow sent, but this Avalon is at least a couple hours closer and half the asking price)

Hmmm. I may have googled an answer. Interesting.

"Avalon
When it comes to choices, Avalon products come in a wide selection of models to meet any heating requirement you may have. In fact, each Avalon model is convertible to either a stove or a fireplace insert. If you move, or your heating requirements change, the stove or insert can be converted to meet your future needs. Avalon freestanding stoves and fireplace inserts can be installed anywhere from close clearance in a house or mobile home, to a corner, an alcove, or inserted into a metal or masonry fireplace"

Oh, and on the odd chance that someone jumps in here on this, it looks like the 990 model has a top exit flu, while the 945 that Bbart mentions has a 45 degree exit. It appears that either one can actually be used as an insert, but would a top collar exit constrain the stove to being completely in the fireplace, or would one of those offset thingies that I have seen pictures of enable me to pull the stove out a few inches onto the hearth?

The stove mellow linked you too looks like its worth the extra drive and the extra money IMHO
good luck in your search

weatherguy said:
The stove mellow linked you too looks like its worth the extra drive and the extra money IMHO
good luck in your search

Yes, thanks, It does look very nice. But a 5 hr drive away around the bay makes it feel a bit too far... wish it were just a bit nearer.

UPDATE is that the Avalon is sold, which ends this area of exploration for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.