Anyway to drop this and survive intact?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can also alter things a bit if needed, for the bottom of the tree to work itself sideways a little with each round you cut off. By not cutting straight down, rather towards the side a little. If you are looking at the tree saying if I could pull the bottom of it this way some it would fall right down - then do your cuts so it will do that. Looks in pics like there might be a weak branch up there in the crotch holding it up, So if you could work the bottom that way it might take the load off the stronger crotch branch & put it on the weaker one and it might let go & come down.

But you need to be careful of course, as with all things done with this stuff - if you go sideways too much and you're standing in the wrong place it could kick out towards you when it lets go. Dance time then for sure.

Also hard to tell scale of pics in this case and just how big this thing is.

I'm going to cut the small branches that are lodged against the support tree,with a pole saw,that seems like the safest bet.I believe when one is cut the tree will slide down in a hurry,but I'll be back about ten feet ,pictures tomorrow ,I hope.

Pole saws are good, have one here also. They are real buggers though if you pinch a bar when it is way up in the air. Can put you in a real pickle sometimes. If you let go of it, the weight of the whole thing can twist things up & do some damage. All depending on the situation.

Pole saws are good, have one here also. They are real buggers though if you pinch a bar when it is way up in the air. Can put you in a real pickle sometimes. If you let go of it, the weight of the whole thing can twist things up & do some damage. All depending on the situation.
You are correct if that happens ,plan B whatever that is,tomorrow is D-day,THX

I have a long pole saw. I would stand well back, on the side that the tree can't fall toward (the far side of the tree in the photo), and take off the limb with the pole saw. Or as Mutineer suggested, chop off rounds until you can pull it off with a come-along.
Here's another view,tomorrow is a coming this boys coming down.

Fence post this bugger and be done with it. Let me know if you have all of your toes at the end of it.

Another cherry down,almost any safe way to drop it or call in a pro?
View attachment 260693View attachment 260694View attachment 260695
Down she came today pic heavy.Started at base relieved pressure,then under cut and top cut an eight foot section,then with pole saw cut the left branch she started to crack,and about five minutes later slid to ground,all cut and ready to haul out tomorrow,THX all for some real good advice,good to be alive and intact.One jpg was the killer cut.

Nice! How far do you have to move it?

Good job! It looks like the outer two inches are rotten. This would be about 1/3 of the wood is rotten.

Good job! It looks like the outer two inches are rotten. This would be about 1/3 of the wood is rotten.
No,only about a four foot piece soft,rotten and full of termites.

Glad to see it went well, If you are working in the woods often you should consider hard hat and chaps, never know what might bite out there.

Glad to see it went well, If you are working in the woods often you should consider hard hat and chaps, never know what might bite out there.
I do 90% of the time ,I had a cameraman in case things went south,good advice though.

I don't worry about the hard hat as much myself. I have one and wear it most of the time. But not always. But I don't make a cut without chaps.

Reactions: ZZ Tom