Anyone need a roofer? Get a load of this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Soooooo, I am laying on my back in a attic looking up at the roof penetration that I installed a few years ago. There was a new steel roof installed a couple months ago. Hmmmmm. After cleaning the stove and pipe I figured I better go up and have a look. Arghhhhh<> The roofer was told to maintain, if not exceed 2 inches of clearance as was originally existing. "No problem, I got that easy" Grrrrrrrr. Pics to come.

Attachments

• Anyone need a roofer? Get a load of this!
    20201001_171341.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 227
    20201001_171347.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 231
    20201001_171355.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 217
Not surprising. Last time I had my roof done, they insisted on replacing my bathroom fan roof cap even though it was brand new (installed by me less than a year before). I went up into the attic after they were done and low and behold, the ducting was laying on top of the insulation not connected. Good on you for checking on it.

I helped someone lay down 80 bundles on his roof a couple of weeks ago (32' by 64' roof). We didnt cut corners. There are good roofers and crews but in many cases there is one guy who knows how to bid and what details he can skip to quote a low price and then he hires what ever laborers he can get for cheap. On occasion he hires a young guy with a license to drive around and pick up the other guys who have lost their drivers license.

Last edited:
That’s scary. Good thing you checked!! People call me crazy, but I ALWAYS double check someone’s work when I pay them for it. Even if I don’t entirely know what I’m looking at. I’d say u dodged a bullet on that one.

I hate hiring things done...so rarely done to my standards (which are just to do it "right")
The guy that poured my concrete drive did OK, not great, 1 low spot that holds water a bit...had my roofer BIL do my roof...that was a mistake...had a guy come out and tuck point the chimney, just recently found a couple spots he missed.
So hard to find good help anymore.
Get to thinking about it...one of the best experiences I've had was when my neighbor helped me make/install new ductwork for the wood furnace a few years back...he is a "tin-knocker" by trade and went way above and beyond what I expected...for free...wouldn't even take money for the materials...he did finally let me help him cut/split wood then...oh, and I fixed his tractor then too.

Reactions: MissMac
Did you need to trim the new sheathing to match the inner layer from the attic, or was there more involved?

Did you need to trim the new sheathing to match the inner layer from the attic, or was there more involved?

No. The furring strips or 2x4's that were placed over the existing roof prior to the new steel were boxed/fitted around the lower half of the class A. Touching it for around 6 inches. I trimmed all that back to the original opening. Done.