Anyone know much about gas stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaniWantsHeat

Oct 8, 2021
Nys
Hi all!

We have a vistaflame pellet stove in the basement (maybe 1000sf) that we’re looking to replace with a gas stove. It’s been running well for 8 years with one or two part changes but we’re so done with lugging 3-4 tons of pellets bags into the house. We’re thinking of replacing it with a stand alone direct vent gas (propane) stove. Can anyone suggest what to look for in a stove? I’m not sure where to start or what to look for. Are all gas stoves created equal or are there some things to look for or avoid?

Thank you!
Danielle

Reactions: Dg0712
BTUs are BTUs, no matter what fuel you are burning. If your current unit heats well with pellets, then you need to install a gas burner that is rated at the same BTU input, IF the efficiency rating is the same. The venting for gas units is a larger diameter, so you may not be able to follow the same path as your pellet venting.

Ok, good to know. Do you know of anything in particular I should look for? A friend of mine had the stove as the main heat for the first floor of her house, so when it stopped working in the middle of the winter, they really felt it.

Hi all!

We have a vistaflame pellet stove in the basement (maybe 1000sf) that we’re looking to replace with a gas stove. It’s been running well for 8 years with one or two part changes but we’re so done with lugging 3-4 tons of pellets bags into the house. We’re thinking of replacing it with a stand alone direct vent gas (propane) stove. Can anyone suggest what to look for in a stove? I’m not sure where to start or what to look for. Are all gas stoves created equal or are there some things to look for or avoid?

Thank you!
Danielle
I’m wondering the same