Anyone have any further feedback on the Jotul F500 v3 yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
In a search for a new stove. Not familiar with many, but there is a local dealer for Jotul. I am trying to decide between the f500 v3 and the smaller f45 if I go with them.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
What will the stove be used for Dave? 24/7 heating or chill chasing during evenings and weekends? How big an area will the stove be heating?

Stove will be used for 24/7 heating down to 25 degrees F. I stop burning at that point due to copper pipes in a craw space that requires the boiler to run. The room is less then 1000 sq feet with 325 sq feet a cathedral ceiling. There are two door openings that lead to the rest of the house that I would like to get some heat through if possible. The one opening is an arch way that leads to a 200 sq foot room. I have been using a Waterford that is rated at 33K. Seems a little small and takes a few hours to heat the room up to 70F.

Which model Waterford? What is the starting temp in the house when the wood stove is lit?

Which model Waterford? What is the starting temp in the house when the wood stove is lit?
An 30 year old Leprechaun, 33K BTU. Room temp at start up is 56F. I do not burn the stove hot. One of the reasons I am getting rid of it is it seems to run away if not watched. Thanks for your help.

Ok, that really is not too bad for the little Leprechaun. It takes a while for a stove to heat the entire contents of a house, the walls and furniture hold cold. Even our big stove would take hours to heat our house up 14º on a cold day.
Both Jotuls will do the job. The F45 is simpler and a more proven design. The new F500 is interesting and may end up a good stove, but it's too early to tell. It will be more radiant than the F45, more like the Leprechaun. That can be helpful when trying to warm up a cold house quickly.

And your thoughts on the Hearthstone Castleton? And you don't think the f500 would be to hot to sit near?

I'm not a big fan of Soapstone stoves mostly because they are less efficient and crack prone. Woodstock soapstones seem to hold up better with their dual wall construction. But for your application, a more radiant stove seems to be a better fit because of the large temp increase desired. A soapstone stove work better in a situation where the temp swing is much less dramatic. They are not known for rapid heating of a space. For that reason in Hearthstone stoves the Shelburne or maybe the Green Mtn. 60 seems like a better fit.

Thanks...the quick heat up and temp difference is only due to the smaller leprechaun not keeping an overnight burn. It goes out, the room cools to 57, then the boiler comes on and baseboard heat keeps it at 57. If I can get an over night burn, the that temp difference would be much less.

Do they make the f500 in a smaller size?

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks...the quick heat up and temp difference is only due to the smaller leprechaun not keeping an overnight burn. It goes out, the room cools to 57, then the boiler comes on and baseboard heat keeps it at 57. If I can get an over night burn, the that temp difference would be much less.

Do they make the f500 in a smaller size?

Dave
The F45 is worth looking at. It is a front loader, non cat.