Anyone find a d-con replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm in the nuisance wildlife and pest control industry. The problem wasn't in the ingredient. As you have found out, it is still used in professional products. It's in the shape.

Mice are haorders. They would find those pellets and hide them all over. Corners of closets, shoes, pillow cases... all the places you don't really want mice poison. A result of this is that whole container of Decon would only kill a couple mice. It was a lethal dose for many, many more. Imagine the issues if deposited in a crib. Kids eat everything.

The solution was to change the shape. If it's secured such as on a post, the rodent can only nibble on it. It only takes the lethal amount. Therefore a 1 oz block can kill up to 25 mice. Much less rodenticide out there, many more rodents killed.

If you can seal the building, mice won't get in. It's very easy to trap them out once you have stopped new ones from coming in.

How can Bell Laboratories sell it if d-con can't? I did go out and buy some traps at tractor supply i will give them a try.

If you can find the hole they are entering through and seal it, you should be very happy with the traps.

But to answer your other question...

Bell Labs can sell it while ecan can not because dcon sells to unlicensed homeowners. If you'd seen some of the idiotic stuff that well meaning homeowners have done you would be very wary of them using pesticides. I have (well meaning, I hope) homeowners ask me to do illegal or really not well thought out things all the time. You'd be surprised how much of my job involves protecting people from themselves.

Let me tell you a story from last winter. I went up to a good friend's cabin. We're outside BSing about whatever when I noticed my dog chewing on something. I pulled open his mouth and found a green TomCat bait block. I yanked the block out and dug what I could from his molars. My pants were coated green from saliva and rodenticide. I rushed my dog down the mountain to the local general store and grabbed their LAST bottle of peroxide. Peroxide makes a dog puke. As I walked out the door I handed the lady my credit card and quickly said I'd be outside making the dog throw up. She didn't question. About 5 minutes later she found me outside cleaning up the mess. I was able to explain what was up. They never ended up charging me for it. But I didn't know that until the statement came.

So I get back up to my friend's cabin and get the story. He saw a couple mice the previous fall and tossed out some blocks. He has young kids, but never thought about what could happen. This kind of thing happens OFTEN.

Those blocks are supposed to be in kid proof/dog proof containers. Now, as I said earlier, my 70lb dog would have to eat 7lbs of the stuff to cause problems. I knew he'd had only 1/2 oz. Did that make me feel better? No.

Back on topic. Bell sells their Final line (Blox and Place Packs) to licensed professionals. Professionals, while not immune to doing stupid things, are more apt than the average homeowner to take precautions that will cost a bit more but keep others safe.

If you can find the hole they are entering through and seal it, you should be very happy with the traps.

But to answer your other question...

Bell Labs can sell it while ecan can not because dcon sells to unlicensed homeowners. If you'd seen some of the idiotic stuff that well meaning homeowners have done you would be very wary of them using pesticides. I have (well meaning, I hope) homeowners ask me to do illegal or really not well thought out things all the time. You'd be surprised how much of my job involves protecting people from themselves.

Let me tell you a story from last winter. I went up to a good friend's cabin. We're outside BSing about whatever when I noticed my dog chewing on something. I pulled open his mouth and found a green TomCat bait block. I yanked the block out and dug what I could from his molars. My pants were coated green from saliva and rodenticide. I rushed my dog down the mountain to the local general store and grabbed their LAST bottle of peroxide. Peroxide makes a dog puke. As I walked out the door I handed the lady my credit card and quickly said I'd be outside making the dog throw up. She didn't question. About 5 minutes later she found me outside cleaning up the mess. I was able to explain what was up. They never ended up charging me for it. But I didn't know that until the statement came.

So I get back up to my friend's cabin and get the story. He saw a couple mice the previous fall and tossed out some blocks. He has young kids, but never thought about what could happen. This kind of thing happens OFTEN.

Those blocks are supposed to be in kid proof/dog proof containers. Now, as I said earlier, my 70lb dog would have to eat 7lbs of the stuff to cause problems. I knew he'd had only 1/2 oz. Did that make me feel better? No.

Back on topic. Bell sells their Final line (Blox and Place Packs) to licensed professionals. Professionals, while not immune to doing stupid things, are more apt than the average homeowner to take precautions that will cost a bit more but keep others safe.

I am glad the dog is ok and thanks for the story. Why someone would do that with kids around etc is nuts! Bell labs has a product that looks exactly like the old d-con pellets and looks to be the same ingredients they come in little bags to place in traps.

I found it on craigslist as a d-con replacement but the ad is gone. If you look on ebay people are selling the old d-con for $100 or more for 2-4 packs! same thing goes on amazon. Who would pay that??

My crawl space is so small only a kid can fit, i have filled up what holes i can but they still get in somehow it's a concert block wall. I get field mice so they are pretty small. I have not found any piles of old d-con around the house anywhere and i had been using it for years but i know what you mean about how they store it when i was a kid i would find it stored away in my shoes along with dog food and chewed up newspapers.

Last edited:
we had a really bad case of mice infestation when we moved in. I could hear them in the walls and there was mice feces everywhere. I tried live traps, and then the old snapper ones, and eventually I had to resort to d-con for a short bit.

We sealed up a lot of the holes and leaks, filled in cracks, and have limited their access. We still have a crawl space and i'm sure some could get in there, but I haven't seen any. For about 3 weeks after I put out the d-con, I was convinced that someone was just dumping it out every other day. Then I had about 2 weeks of that terrible dead mouse smell, but I only saw 1 mouse the entire time. I still have not torn out the walls where I think that they went, but i'm fully prepared for a few dozen bodies behind the insulation.