Anyone find a d-con replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris83

Jan 4, 2018
WVA
D-con always worked for me but since they changed it the mice eat it like candy! As i understand it d-con had Brodifacoum which is why it's no longer made.

I have found another brand of bait that has Brodifacoum .005 and it's in pellet forum it looks like a close match to d-con it's made by Bell Laboratories has anyone tried it? You can't buy it in stores, i think it's meant to be used by professionals.

Any possibility of just using traps? Rodents that eat poison and then get out into the wild can be eaten by beneficial predators like owls or hawks and also by domestic pets. We've been using a large TomCat rat trap with good success in the garage. One caveat is that it needs to be tethered. Otherwise a rat can run off with it if just a leg or tail is caught. I use some light wire as a tether.

Anyone find a d-con replacement?

He may be blind in one eye, but he's wicked good at catching things.

I have used this for years. Works fast , I put it up on my garage work bench and get a bunch then they are gone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I set 10 snap traps in the attic and caught 5 last night.

Attachments

• Anyone find a d-con replacement?
    IMG_20180105_150543628.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 192
Any possibility of just using traps? Rodents that eat poison and then get out into the wild can be eaten by beneficial predators like owls or hawks and also by domestic pets. We've been using a large TomCat rat trap with good success in the garage. One caveat is that it needs to be tethered. Otherwise a rat can run off with it if just a leg or tail is caught. I use some light wire as a tether.
Yikes- have you ever had to dispatch one caught in a non-lethal way?

I put d con in a live trap. I don't know whats in the stuff that makes it so good. I've tried everything else it will work once and never again. I then dispose of the contents in the trash.

Yikes- have you ever had to dispatch one caught in a non-lethal way?

Drown them in a bucket. You let them go unless you drive them miles away they will come back.

I put d con in a live trap. I don't know whats in the stuff that makes it so good. I've tried everything else it will work once and never again. I then dispose of the contents in the trash.

You must have the old d-con. I still have a box of it but need to find another that works. I put the old d-con right beside the new stuff and guess which one they took.

You must have the old d-con. I still have a box of it but need to find another that works. I put the old d-con right beside the new stuff and guess which one they took.

Apparently its a couple years old didnt realize they quit making it or changed it. I quit using except in live traps where it was contained when I realized how it made its way through the food chain.

Apparently its a couple years old didnt realize they quit making it or changed it. I quit using except in live traps where it was contained when I realized how it made its way through the food chain.
Now I get it!

Are they always dead in the trap when you check?

Rats or mice?

Now I get it!

Are they always dead in the trap when you check?

Rats or mice?

Mice. Most the time they are dead I dont check them daily though. A couple times they have been alive and ended up submerging the trap in water. Probably should not say that.

These are the traps

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/victor-multiple-catch-mouse-trap?cm_vc=-10005

Sometimes there are multiple friends in the same trap.

I usually put peanut butter on the ramp of the trap with d-con stuck in the peanut butter. With a little bit inside as well. In the beginning I would put just peanut butter and it worked great then one day it quit working hmm.

Mice. Most the time they are dead I dont check them daily though. A couple times they have been alive and ended up submerging the trap in water. Probably should not say that.

These are the traps

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/victor-multiple-catch-mouse-trap?cm_vc=-10005

I usually put peanut butter on the ramp of the trap with d-con stuck in the peanut butter. With a little bit inside as well. In the beginning I would put just peanut butter and it worked great then one day it quit working hmm.
Thanks moey. I'm gonna get me 2 or three of these. I might put the mice in the bathtub for the cat to dispatch. He's a terrible lazy mouser, but still loves the mouse.

These are the traps

So you where putting d-con in that trap to stop the mouse from dying outside so anther animal can't get it?

Does the trap close somehow once the mouse goes into it?

So you where putting d-con in that trap to stop the mouse from dying outside so anther animal can't get it?

Does the trap close somehow once the mouse goes into it?

Yes and to prevent them from dying in the house somewhere. \

When the mouse climbs up the ramp it flops down to let them inside once inside the door flaps back up and the mouse is stuck.

Thanks moey. I'm gonna get me 2 or three of these. I might put the mice in the bathtub for the cat to dispatch. He's a terrible lazy mouser, but still loves the mouse.

Careful if you use something toxic to catch the mouse or if you have used something in the past toxic ( mice pack away toxic things for later eating ). Dont want your cat eating something toxic. The traps are cumbersome to open you might end up having a mouse land on you doing that :)

Careful if you use something toxic to catch the mouse or if you have used something in the past toxic ( mice pack away toxic things for later eating ). Dont want your cat eating something toxic. The traps are cumbersome to open you might end up having a mouse land on you doing that :)
I will not use poison, period.

I think your solution is great, my compliments, if you are going to use poison. I was just talking about getting the live traps.

I'd be too afraid of poisoning my cat, someone else's pet, myself, or any of the beautiful creatures that we share this fishbowl with. I make a tiny exception for my baby eggplant plants. If I don't use a little sevin on them when they are little, then no eggplants for us (flea bettles).

If I can't outsmart the vermin without poison, I'll just have to live with them.

I use mine in a small crawl space no cat or anything of size can get in or out. Never could figure out how mice get in since there is zero daylight under there. It's a nasty place where i can't fit.

I use mine in a small crawl space no cat or anything of size can get in or out. Never could figure out how mice get in since there is zero daylight under there. It's a nasty place where i can't fit.
The cat getting in isn't the problem. It's the mouse that goes outside looking for water or just goes outside to die, where the cat, owl, etc. finds them. I'm not judging, just isn't for me.

I'm in the nuisance wildlife and pest control industry. The problem wasn't in the ingredient. As you have found out, it is still used in professional products. It's in the shape.

Mice are hoarders. They would find those pellets and hide them all over. Corners of closets, shoes, pillow cases... all the places you don't really want mice poison. A result of this is that whole container of Decon would only kill a couple mice. It was a lethal dose for many, many more. Imagine the issues if deposited in a crib. Kids eat everything.

The solution was to change the shape. If it's secured such as on a post, the rodent can only nibble on it. It only takes the lethal amount. Therefore a 1 oz block can kill up to 25 mice. Much less rodenticide out there, many more rodents killed.

If you can seal the building, mice won't get in. It's very easy to trap them out once you have stopped new ones from coming in.

I'm in the nuisance wildlife and pest control industry. The problem wasn't in the ingredient. As you have found out, it is still used in professional products. It's in the shape.

Mice are haorders. They would find those pellets and hide them all over. Corners of closets, shoes, pillow cases... all the places you don't really want mice poison. A result of this is that whole container of Decon would only kill a couple mice. It was a lethal dose for many, many more. Imagine the issues if deposited in a crib. Kids eat everything.

The solution was to change the shape. If it's secured such as on a post, the rodent can only nibble on it. It only takes the lethal amount. Therefore a 1 oz block can kill up to 25 mice. Much less rodenticide out there, many more rodents killed.

If you can seal the building, mice won't get in. It's very easy to trap them out once you have stopped new ones from coming in.
Thank EBL. I really enjoyed your post, and very educational, to boot.

The cat getting in isn't the problem. It's the mouse that goes outside looking for water or just goes outside to die, where the cat, owl, etc. finds them. I'm not judging, just isn't for me.

There isn't much danger to cats and other 4 legged critters. The target needs to eat 10% of their body weight to cause enough of an issue to bleed out. So, a mouse weighs 10-15g. It'll need to eat about 1-1.5g of bait.

A cat weighs about 14lbs. It would need to eat 1.4lbs of bait, or 635g of bait. That would equal a lot of mice.

Birds are a different story, IMO, and may be in danger. They are specifically built for light weight. A Red Tailed Hawk weighs around 2.5lbs. So 10% is a quarter lb, or 113 grams. In an animal that eats only rodents, poisoning becomes an issue.

And we'd have to know how long it can stay active and accumulate in a body. If it's processed out fairly quickly it still might not be an issue. But I don't know the details of bioaccumulation.

I was just talking about getting the live traps.
I tried the live traps and found, despite good intentions, that I tortured the mice to death. If you don't catch them soon after setting them you soon forget and end up killing them for lack of water or food.

I also refuse to use poison and have started using the electronic traps or enclosed spring traps for a quick, clean kill. I hate what the little bastards do to my stuff but hate torturing an innocent even more.