Anyone ever have wood stolen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
We live on a quiet col de sac and the houses back up to a huge wood lot and state park. I noticed the other day about a wheel barrow sized chunk of wood missing from the wood shed. I’m OCD with the firewood and the way I stack it and I know I wouldnt leave it like that. I would assume some kids maybe having a bonfire in the woods or a neighbor thought it was harmless to take some for there fire pit! I know it’s not a huge deal but damn if this person knew what went behind getting that wood stacked there! Also the fact I do all that work to keep my house and my family warm!! I stapled up two posted signs on the back of the wood shed. Who would have thought!!

Reactions: D8Chumley
My Sister in Law had it stolen last year. In Town Apt building. All of them have Fireplace. Don't know what to do this year. Don't want to give firewood to thieves. Anything she does can be undone quite easily. I guess Presto Logs and keep inside.

about a wheel barrow sized chunk of wood missing from the wood shed.
that is hell of a chunk of wood. If that size chunk went missing from my piles i would have noticed too. Hahah

• Wow
Reactions: Lakeside
Last summer I noticed that I had some wood missing and there were random pieces leading to our semi-private cul-de-sac. My yard is odd because it was supposed to be two lots so we have a really long "side yard". It only happend that one time and I too assumed I provided the wood for one hell of a end of year bonfire for some seniors! If it kept happening, I would have put up a trail camera to see whats going on.

Put a "Beware of Snakes" sign next to the wood pile

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Many times until the got the one with 1 oz of black powder in a bored hole
Never came back for more. It was a lad down the road who was too lazy to cut his own
now it gets it somewhere else

I pretty sure wood was taken from my stacks when we were building our house. When clearing the lot, I asked for all the hardwood to be piled up. So, I started cutting and stacking about a year before we moved in. When I visited the site, I would find stacks missing a row or two but not a huge amount. Has not happened since we moved in.

When I was clearing the land, I had a bunch of wood cut, split and in piles. I pulled in one day and heard the clunking sound of the wood being thrown in a trailer. I asked the guy (now my neighbor since we built the house) what he was doing in a calm tone. He said that he was loading up the wood. I noted that it was mine. He said that it wasn't mine and that the land wasn't mine. My tone was no longer calm and I explained what was going to happen if he didn't unload his trailer. He did. Just for good measure I had the local cop stop by to explain that what he did was actually theft. The guy is a total d-bag, but at least he respects the property line now--of course I posted it. Never wanted to post my land, but between this jackwagon and the idiots that think they can dump anything they want in the woods, it was a prudent step. Honestly, I wouldn't care about most of the stuff people dump, and if they would ask me, I have places to throw shrubs, deer hides, etc. But they don't ask and toss the junk off in 5 gallon buckets, plastic garbage bags, etc. Sorry for the rant.

A 3/4 inch bored hole, an ounce of black powder, and a 3/4 inch wooden plug.
I like the way y'all think.

Let's see, I have a Milwaukee right-angle electricians drill. I have a 3/4 inch bit, a "ship's auger" that is 18 inches long. I have a 3/4 inch dowel rod.
And I am a big muzzleloader guy, I have a pound of black powder.

Only problem is, I am so far back in the woods, nobody is going to show up here and steal my firewood. Dammit!

When I was clearing the land, I had a bunch of wood cut, split and in piles. I pulled in one day and heard the clunking sound of the wood being thrown in a trailer. I asked the guy (now my neighbor since we built the house) what he was doing in a calm tone. He said that he was loading up the wood. I noted that it was mine. He said that it wasn't mine and that the land wasn't mine. My tone was no longer calm and I explained what was going to happen if he didn't unload his trailer. He did. Just for good measure I had the local cop stop by to explain that what he did was actually theft. The guy is a total d-bag, but at least he respects the property line now--of course I posted it. Never wanted to post my land, but between this jackwagon and the idiots that think they can dump anything they want in the woods, it was a prudent step. Honestly, I wouldn't care about most of the stuff people dump, and if they would ask me, I have places to throw shrubs, deer hides, etc. But they don't ask and toss the junk off in 5 gallon buckets, plastic garbage bags, etc. Sorry for the rant.
Ah, the nasty neighbor stories-I can tell you a few of my own, but I moved way out in the country last summer and hope to put all of the suburban neighbor nightmares to bed. I do have neighbors, but cannot see any of their houses and most properties around me are on average 30+ acres-most farms much larger. I have high hopes that my neighbor nightmares are in the past.

Only problem is, I am so far back in the woods, nobody is going to show up here and steal my firewood. Dammit!
I feel for you but can't quite reach
Just remember if you use this method to post a warning that
some splits may be seeded with black powder. Got to tell
thieves that they are putting their lives at risk.
Also covers your butt

You have pointed out a drawback. An ounce of black powder is a big charge. If that wooden peg fit that hole tightly, and that log was put into a wood stove, it could cause quite an explosion.
Someone could be killed in the explosion, or, in the fire when the house burned down.

Maybe you should put a Black Cat firecracker into the hollow log.

That stinks about the wood getting stolen. I've not had anyone ever steal mine, but thieves around my neighborhood have been pretty brazen during these last few months. One guy got a wood splitter stolen from his property, it was next to his garage. Somebody backed in, hooked it up to a hitch, and drove off. Can you imagine?

Not sure an attorney would agree a sign relieves one of culpability if you boobytrap your woodpile to willfully kill somebody. I suggest one consult an attorney before taking this route.

Last edited:
I’m hoping it was a one time thing. Keeping my eye on it for sure. As we all know handling and moving wood is a chore missing a little really isn’t a big deal but it’s sucks knowing someone came on to my property and took it.

Wishing you good results from the other side of the Delaware in Warren County.

We have cameras on our property now, and I keep My shed locked. Used to be thieves here were largely drug addicts looking to pawn tech for cash, TVs, iPhones, laptops, etc but now they seem less discriminating in what they will take

A small charge of black powder is exactly what a thief needs. I have had wood stolen before. A truckload or two! At one time! The greedy buggers need a good stout lesson that stealing is wrong and doesn't pay. Lazy people, and they figure it's fine to take what's not theirs.

I couldn't agree more. Plus I am a muzzleloader guy and I have some black powder. The thief deserves an explosion.
But, this ain't the Ponderosa and you ain't Adam Cartwright.

If you drill a hole in a firewood log, and you put in just one ounce of black powder, and put a plug in there, and the criminal puts it into his wood stove, it will cause the wood stove to explode. That alone could kill someone.
And then in the resulting house fire someone else will die.

It isn't 1868, this ain't the Ponderosa, and you ain't Adam Cartwright, it is the modern times, and if the dead guy's relatives could trace that explosion back to you, you will be, at the least, tied up in civil court for years and you will lose a million in the settlement.
You also could face criminal charges.