Anybody use heat-powered stove fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for mocking that up! Haha. OK my stove does NOT have a jacket so I suppose my surface could get nice and hot too right?
Your stove does have a jacket. The portion behind the surround is jacketed for sure

Your stove does have a jacket. The portion behind the surround is jacketed for sure

I didn't realize. I suppose that helps to keep the heat from being lost in the hearth behind the trim... I was more concerned with a jacket extending out over the exposed portion of the insert, as I'd like to cook on the surface (6-7" exposed).

I didn't realize. I suppose that helps to keep the heat from being lost in the hearth behind the trim... I was more concerned with a jacket extending out over the exposed portion of the insert, as I'd like to cook on the surface (6-7" exposed).
As long as there is no convective top that would work fine. Even with a convective top it would get hot enough to cook many things

As long as there is no convective top that would work fine. Even with a convective top it would get hot enough to cook many things

Great to know! What is a convective top exactly? I don't believe mine has one. It's a Heatilator ECO Wins-18.

It looks to just be a metal shelf on top of the stove insert but not entirely sure.

Great to know! What is a convective top exactly? I don't believe mine has one. It's a Heatilator ECO Wins-18.

It looks to just be a metal shelf on top of the stove insert but not entirely sure.
Your insert does not have a convective top

Your insert does not have a convective top

Awesome, that's a good thing in my case right? Means I can cook on the top?

Awesome, that's a good thing in my case right? Means I can cook on the top?
You will probably need a trivet of some sort to reduce the temp. You will also be repainting the stove allot of you do much

You will probably need a trivet of some sort to reduce the temp. You will also be repainting the stove allot of you do much

Already have a trivet luckily and I'm okay with that, the stove is already marred up and I don't mind a bit of rustic charm. I have touch up paint just in case too

Thank you for your insight on this