any drawback of putting too large of an insert in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is my floorplan. Its not to scale, I just did this quick in Visio.

Doing the Dixie Eyed Hustle - did you have Main St Fireplace install your stove? After the installer left, I spoke to them on the phone regarding the block off plate and they told me they have never installed one. They said the installer probably would do it, but it would be extra. They feel there is no reason for one as the liner is fully insulated and as I mentioned, they insulate the top of the chimney and the bottom by the damper. I asked if they used Roxaul and they said its standard insulation.

So now I am unsure what to do here. Im 95% certain Im going with the Summit. They are one of the only authorized PE dealers on the Island. The assured me I would be more than happy, that they've installed thousands of units and never had a block off plate even requested.
Looks like you'll be ok. I'm not sure how well the CAC system will work for circulation. However, a small, directional fan placed on the floor at the far end of the bedroom hallway, blowing air toward the stove room will help even out the heat. The displaced cooler air will be replaced with warm air from the stove area.

Looks like you'll be ok. I'm not sure how well the CAC system will work for circulation. However, a small, directional fan placed on the floor at the far end of the bedroom hallway, blowing air toward the stove room will help even out the heat. The displaced cooler air will be replaced with warm air from the stove area.

thanks. this is good news. what is your take on the block off plate? the installer/retailer is telling me its completely unnecessary?

With an exterior wall fireplace I would definitely be putting one in if this was my house. There's no point in heating outdoors any more than necessary.

Another interesting thing to consider is that your installer (as is also the case with mine) said they have never installed one. That means they really have no idea if it's useful. On the contrary, there are numerous examples here of people who have seen results.

My thought was, if my installer has never done one, how do they know that it's unnecessary?

Another interesting thing to consider is that your installer (as is also the case with mine) said they have never installed one. That means they really have no idea if it's useful. On the contrary, there are numerous examples here of people who have seen results.

My thought was, if my installer has never done one, how do they know that it's unnecessary?

so if your installer never installed one, he still said he would put one in for you?

Anyone here ever use vermiculite? my friend put his own summit insert in. he installed a block off plate and poured the vermiculite down from the top all the way up.

To try and give you guys an idea of what Im working with, here is are some shots of my chimney, the damper and the best i could of up inside the chimney. the summit will literally only have about 2" of clearance at the top. im not sure if a block off plate would even be able to be installed?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] any drawback of putting too large of an insert in?
    photo1.webp
    155.3 KB · Views: 143
    photo2.webp
    173 KB · Views: 154
    photo3.webp
    163.5 KB · Views: 131
Vermiculite is used a lot more in Europe than it is here. But is used here. A downside is that if the stuff ever finds a way to start coming out into the firebox it won't stop and makes a real mess.

Think snow storm in the living room here.

so if your installer never installed one, he still said he would put one in for you?
Yup. They aren't all that challenging to put in and I believe it's pseudo-similar to what they may do to seal up the top exit around the liner. I'm not concerned that they could do it.

Vermiculite is used a lot more in Europe than it is here. But is used here. A downside is that if the stuff ever finds a way to start coming out into the firebox it won't stop and makes a real mess.

Think snow storm in the living room here.
That sounds like perlite which is white and very light. Vermiculite is heavier, grey and less likely to get airborne. Whatever is used, install a good block-off plate properly anchored so that is not going to be an issue. And wear a good dust mask when pouring the stuff.

[Hearth.com] any drawback of putting too large of an insert in?

That looks like what I would expect. When snowstorm was mentioned I was thinking of the perlite spill I had in the greenhouse when a good wind blew it all over the place. That stuff gets airborne quickly. I am still finding it in every corner of the greenhouse.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Yes and no. The purpose of the block off is multifold and separate from insulating a liner if you are not filling the chimney with perlite or vermiculite. For example, if you insulate the liner with a blanket wrap, the block off plate will still help keep more heat around the stove and not up the masonry body of the chimney. There is no need to insulate the top with roxul if you are filling the chimney with vermiculite around the liner. A bit of roxul around the damper area before the block off plate may help stop vermiculite flakes from leaking past any gaps.

Here is an article on how to do a block-off plate. There are several links at the end for installations with pictures.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.