any body have any idea what kind of wood this is ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

happycamper

Mar 14, 2013
any body have any idea what kind of wood this is

i got 3 or 4 truck loads of the wood

Attachments

• any body have any idea what kind of wood this is ?
    001.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 289
    firewood.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 283
    cotton wood 2.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 284
    firewoods.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 231
Where do you live. Might give us a clue.

That is super punky white oak. Sap wood will crumble but the heart wood is good.

Reactions: Lakeside
Yep i agree with Dan. looks like the chestnut oak I burn, ( A white oak type), right down to the type and presentation of fungi when it gets punky. I often slab off the edges and have good a good, big heartwood piece left.

+ 1 for chestnut oak (Quercus montana), formerly (Q. prinus).
The wood has characteristic appearance for oak (rays & growth rings), but the very distinctive blocky bark easily & quickly narrows it down to chestnut oak. It's a common oak species in Ridge-and-Valley Province region of Appalachian Mountains. http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=76
Sapwood looks punky, but heartwood still looks sound. Nice find. Split and season for a couple years.