Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
What the heck is this ?.....Dark center, very stringy, got a bit more to split. I tried to ID by Bark.....comes up Ironwood ?
Another wood ID

I could be way off, but when I first saw it I thought it looks like the black cherry trees we have around here.
That was my first inclination too. Cherry has a very sweet smell when splitting. I spend as much time smelling it as splitting it...

Not sure.

Black cherry is not my guess from the bark. Or the grain. Or Beer Belly saying it's stringy.

The bark certainly has some similarities to cherry, but my eyes don't see it as that.

Not sure.

Black cherry is not my guess from the bark. Or the grain. Or Beer Belly saying it's stringy.

The bark certainly has some similarities to cherry, but my eyes don't see it as that.
I was thinking Cherry also, I've split Cherry before, don't remember it being this stringy and difficult to split. Did a Google photo search and it came up "Ironwood" ?. No leaves to help with ID, part of a log load I got for free, so really can't complain/

It could well be Ironwood but it is not like the Eastern Ironwood we get
then again there are many different types of Ironwood I love to burn it

Welp in my area she aint either of the 2 types of ironw wood hophornbeam and blue beech aka hornbeam because from my personal dealings with the 2 is that hophornbeam has a bark that looks kinda like a shaggier version of white oak and wood bein cream/pale with brown stain in the middle kinda like hard maple and hornbeam looks like a gnarly twisted beech tree with a beech wood look neither of the 2 in my area rarely get thick or big ....

Reactions: johneh
It is not hornbeam or hop hornbeam. It does not look like cherry to me. No idea what it is.

Since nobody has guessed it, I’ll say red oak! ( it not that either though, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: NickW
Bark looks kinda like cherry. The wood looks kinda like oak. Clearly, this is a cherrybark oak. Someone moved to Connecticut from Missouri and brought acorns along.

“When a mommy acorn falls in love which a daddy cherry pit…”

Reactions: johneh
lol, never knew such a tree existed. Thank you for teaching me something! I may have lived within its range when I lived in Houston.

Not me, mongomongoson - I googled after he posted and found the wiki page

I didn't know either

Well who would have thunk it got to learn something new every day
Thanks, stoveliker

Black cherry for sure. I just got done splitting some

Another wood ID

Cherry stump cut off about a month ago (tornado victim)
Another wood ID

Ironwood seasoning in the stack
Another wood ID

From the OP's pic it looks like silver maple. Bark doesn't have consistent cornflake appearance and wood is too light (missing dark orange color).
If branches still available check branching habit: if opposite, not cherry.