Another good use for a wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
NJ
In order for me to conserve wood this season, my first winter heating my small house solely via my wood stove, I tend to keep my house in the middle 50s but do not have overnight burns because I leave for work with nobody home so I will stoke the fire before I go to bed, but leave the air control open all the way just to keep a hot fire for as long as possible and then by the morning it's all ashes and the stovetop temp has gone way down and the house is about 50degs or so. Like this morning today on a pretty brisk 20deg day. I bike to work and leave before the dawn so I change into my bike clothes which is very cold when the house is about 50degs... Especially being synthetic polyester, they get cold!!! So I tossed my bike clothes on top of my wood stove this morning while I ate breakfast and brushed my teeth... Nice and toasty when I changed.... I'll have to keep doing this when the cold temps arrive... Works pretty good!

Jay

Dont melt them!!! as you know there expensive. I cant wait untill its the season i can ride to work. I dont do it very often, only 4 or 5 times a year. I have a 46 mile, one way commute that drops 4500 feet. Getting there is easy, getting home is the fun part.

Cool, my commute is similar in scale as yours except mine is only 10.5 miles and about 950ft total descent on the way to work. Works good cause in the summer, I leave before sunrise and being downhill, I don't really sweat that much. (no shower at work). I imagine burning polyester has got to stink!

Jay

To each his own, but that sounds like a bad habit to start. You may have more heat left in it one morning than normal, maybe more coals. I bet something synthetic would be a groan to get off once it melted to the top of the stove.

Wouldn't call it a habit... tried it for the first time this morning and I simply put my hand on the stovetop before I put my clothes on it on top of it. No way I could put my hand on the top when the stove is firing... and my flue temps were below registering (<200degs). I wouldn't leave the clothes there overnight.

Getting into cold polyester is bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....:) Of course it was finally a brisk 20deg commute to work, had ice crystals forming in my water bottle for the first time this season.

Jay

Jay H said:
Cool, my commute is similar in scale as yours except mine is only 10.5 miles and about 950ft total descent on the way to work. Works good cause in the summer, I leave before sunrise and being downhill, I don't really sweat that much. (no shower at work). I imagine burning polyester has got to stink!

Jay

Sounds like the perfect commute. My canyon is 20 miles, and the drop is in that section of the ride. the last 16 miles is a rolling highway, so you still get a good workout on the way in. Going home, that canyon is a pain, its pretty steep in areas, and a challenge after a long day at work. I would much rather have your ride that i could do all the time instead of my ride i can only do occasionaly.

Jay H said:
Wouldn't call it a habit... tried it for the first time this morning and I simply put my hand on the stovetop before I put my clothes on it on top of it. No way I could put my hand on the top when the stove is firing... and my flue temps were below registering (<200degs). I wouldn't leave the clothes there overnight.

Getting into cold polyester is bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....:) Of course it was finally a brisk 20deg commute to work, had ice crystals forming in my water bottle for the first time this season.

Jay

Shrinkage!!!

Jay H said:
In order for me to conserve wood this season, my first winter heating my small house solely via my wood stove, I tend to keep my house in the middle 50s but do not have overnight burns because I leave for work with nobody home so I will stoke the fire before I go to bed, but leave the air control open all the way just to keep a hot fire for as long as possible and then by the morning it's all ashes and the stovetop temp has gone way down and the house is about 50degs or so. Like this morning today on a pretty brisk 20deg day. I bike to work and leave before the dawn so I change into my bike clothes which is very cold when the house is about 50degs... Especially being synthetic polyester, they get cold!!! So I tossed my bike clothes on top of my wood stove this morning while I ate breakfast and brushed my teeth... Nice and toasty when I changed.... I'll have to keep doing this when the cold temps arrive... Works pretty good!

Jay

Before you go to bed, I think your air should be all the way down, not all the way open. You'll get longer burns and a more consistant heat output. Also, the heat output will not likely be much lower, you'll put less heat up the chimney and take better advantage of your stoves secondary burn technology.

My take is your actually waisting wood, plus I think your house will be warmer in the morning.

Dylan said:
Warren said:
Jay H said:

Jay

Before you go to bed, I think your air should be all the way down, not all the way open. You'll get longer burns and a more consistant heat output. Also, the heat output will not likely be much lower, you'll put less heat up the chimney and take better advantage of your stoves secondary burn technology.

My take is your actually waisting wood, plus I think your house will be warmer in the morning.

I admire your Spartan-ness, Jay, but I gotta agree with Warren, here. At some point during the overnight, you're prematurely cooling the stove with all the room air that getting sucked up the chimney.
Not to mention the amount of wood you use to get the house temp back up. How do you keep the house temps down in the 50’s? Long slow burns can cause creosote build up in your chimney and potential fire hazards.

I have to tell you keeping a home in the 50's is not the best formular for keeping you plaster in tact

Houses should not be exposed to large temp swings.
Ever hear of expansion and contraction .

While you are sleeping with the air full open sounds like a situation begging for problems
How do you know it is not overfiring? fully open air is just the rescipy for that condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.