Another good guy from Hudson Valley Hearthnet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I remember last year it seemed like Warren was the only other guy anywhere near us... now it sounds like half this forum is in the Hudson Valley!

Now that I know just how many HV folks are on here... we are actually about halfway between Millbrook and Stanfordville (yet our zip code is Salt Point...) and we're closest to Washington Hollow and Clinton Corners but usually nobody knows any secondary towns beyond Millbrook if we're lucky, so usually it just ends up "yea, we live somewhere east of Poughkeepsie out in the woods!"

Strange how many people know Poughkeepsie though...

Great part of the country - we moved up from Austin, TX and I'll never leave the Northeast if I can afford it :)

-Colin

Webmaster said:
Now remember all, HearthNet is no more - it's Hearth.com!

I'll be working on cast metal plate with logos (and maybe other stuff) as my foundry skills progress. What I really need is someone who is good with carving that can transfer my logo onto a wooden plate so I can cast it!

As it is, I will try to print one out, use a x-acto knife and transfer to wood. Then the fun begins - I'm not too steady with a router or dremel. One slip and that's it.

When you are making a mold for casting you need to remember that you are not making to finished product out of wood alone. If you make a mistake and carve off something by mistake, you can fill the void with Bondo, epoxy or even plastic wood filler. When I was in jr high metal shop we made name plaques, a wooden base with plastic letters glued to it, the sand didn't know the difference. Anything the displaces sand is a good mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.