Another Chimney problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How much crud came out of the chimney this time? A lot or was it just the screen that was plugged?

Can you see the cap with binoculars? It would be good to watch it for the next month or two. If it clogs up quickly then something may need to change. If it stays clean then one has to wonder if this was skipped the first time. Well I guess the sweep may need to change then.

FWIW, we went 6 yrs. with a 3/8" screen on our cap. It stayed clean year after year until a few years back when I had a run in with some wet maple. The screen is gone now, but it will be back if someone tries to build a nest in there.

He did not clean the pipe this time. Just removed the screen and inspected the pipe. He said that the top couple feet had a little creosote but after that it was clean.

I have a really nice set of Vortex binos but for some reason it’s really hard to tell how clean it is from the ground.

That is very crusty for just a couple months burning. Ours doesn't look like that even after a year or more. Could be the sweep missed it with bottom up cleaning. Keep an eye on it.
The sweep is yours truly, I keep a close eye on it. I actually remove all the pipe and brush/clean on the ground. The first picture is from March 2018 after four months of burning with the new A30. The second picture is from three weeks ago after two months of shoulder season burning, it was about 50% plugged.

The sweep is yours truly, I keep a close eye on it. I actually remove all the pipe and brush/clean on the ground. The first picture is from March 2018 after four months of burning with the new A30. The second picture is from three weeks ago after two months of shoulder season burning, it was about 50% plugged.
looks like that is the price one pays for burning low and slow.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I will not blaim low and slow cause that is the way I do it and I don't have those issues. I do have two choices, like now that is cold. Run just one stove with two loads a day or fill each one and stay minimum 24 hrs. I prefer fill both and run them slow. No issues here with low and slow.

looks like that is the price one pays for burning low and slow.
I thinks so. I know all my wood is dry, and I've only got 16 feet of pipe. I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with the cat.

Happy New year to all hearth.com members. Regardless what, we all are staying warm. At the end of the day, that's all what counts.
From the bottom of my heart.

They only like to serve it, not take it.
With as many BK smoke & chimney issues being posted this year, and the poster owning a BK, technically, for this post it is a BK problem. Low and slow = clogged and fogged. :p
It seems like everything has to be perfect with these stoves. Chimney/cap set-up, just the right moisture content with your wood...not to wet, not too dry. The right connector pipe. A clean combustor. Not clogged. Not too many bends in the pipe/chimney. Etc. They don't seem very forgiving if something is wrong. I guess You have to have all your ducks in a row and your installer/ sweep better know what they are doing.

your installer/ sweep better know what they are doing.
Better chance of success if the buyer is up to speed, and discusses how the install will go beforehand, than leaving it all up to the installer IMO. That's a lot to expect of your average buyer, though..

It seems like everything has to be perfect with these stoves. Chimney/cap set-up, just the right moisture content with your wood...not to wet, not too dry. The right connector pipe. A clean combustor. Not clogged. Not too many bends in the pipe/chimney. Etc. They don't seem very forgiving if something is wrong. I guess You have to have all your ducks in a row and your installer/ sweep better know what they are doing.
That can honestly be said about any stove/set up. Not specific to BK,s, but yes, even the magical BK cannot do it all, without all the needed components, install, flue & burner's habits.

Better chance of success if the buyer is up to speed, and discusses how the install will go beforehand, than leaving it all up to the installer IMO. That's a lot to expect of your average buyer, though..
Marginally better chance of success. My first install 10 years ago I did all the layout for the stove, the pipe, clearances, cut the holes through the ceiling, the roof opening, did the framing for the support box, spent an hour with the owner/estimator going over exactly what I wanted and why. He said great I'll have a quote to you in the morning. Got the quote and told him to go ahead with the install. Two weeks later, a couple of skids show up with 80% of the wrong parts, missing custom roof flashing, 45's for the inside of the house( which would have put the stove about three feet out of the alcove) instead of 45's to offset at the eves. The Regency f2400 they showed up with had the deflector plate welded upside down so none of the holes lined up, so had to order another one. They had three visits over 5 weeks to get the stove installed - quite sure they didn't make any money on that job!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Marginally better chance of success. My first install 10 years ago I did all the layout for the stove, the pipe, clearances, cut the holes through the ceiling, the roof opening, did the framing for the support box, spent an hour with the owner/estimator going over exactly what I wanted and why. He said great I'll have a quote to you in the morning. Got the quote and told him to go ahead with the install. Two weeks later, a couple of skids show up with 80% of the wrong parts, missing custom roof flashing, 45's for the inside of the house( which would have put the stove about three feet out of the alcove) instead of 45's to offset at the eves. The Regency f2400 they showed up with had the deflector plate welded upside down so none of the holes lined up, so had to order another one. They had three visits over 5 weeks to get the stove installed - quite sure they didn't make any money on that job!

I’m always surprised how hard it is to find good installers of anything! When I pulled my old insert out I couldn’t believe how hacked it was to make it fit. I have the bill from the local hearth shop that did the install for the previous owners. Needless to say I did my own install when I replaced it.

Reactions: AlbergSteve