And we're off...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
and running. The temp this morning was 43º. It was time to wake the gentle giant. Burning a 3/4 load this morning. And like a magnet, the cat moved in the moment the stove was lit and has not left since. When I went to turn down the air he gave an appreciative chortle.

And we're off...

I resisted the urge two last cold from that came through was down to 39 for two or three mornings. It’s 83 now and I need to run the AC to dehumidify the house. I’m counting down the days(weeks) till I light mine up!

Reactions: sixer
I resisted the urge two last cold from that came through was down to 39 for two or three mornings. It’s 83 now and I need to run the AC to dehumidify the house. I’m counting down the days(weeks) till I light mine up!
LOL, my sister is grateful for the reprieve. Her insert and liner get installed next week. I have been working with the installer and they have been great. Coastroad Hearth & Patio out of Shallotte, NC.

I've done 4 cold starts so far here in central MA. We got down to 27°F a few nights. If it's warm and sunny during the day that's not so bad since the house holds heat well, but if it's 45°F and rainy, then dipping into the low 30's, not so much. Plus I was kind of itching to get the stove going!

Reactions: Nealm66
LOL, my sister is grateful for the reprieve. Her insert and liner get installed next week. I have been working with the installer and they have been great. Coastroad Hearth & Patio out of Shallotte, NC.
They did my Jotul. Only thing I wish they had done was a block off plate. They have a wide service area and a call back to reseal the top plate took a really long time.

They did a great job.

We've been having nightly fires since the last few days of September, minus a few warm evenings here and there. Always a nice time of year, now thru New Years, anyway.

Your regular reference to the "gentle giant", and remembering your past mention other prog bands, makes me wonder if you're a fan of Gentle Giant. Exciting to see so many young bands putting out covers of this obscure band, who was always big among musicians, but never had much mass appeal.

I haven't listened to them. It's just a big stove with a softer, steady gentle warmth.

I just put on 2 splits in anticipation of falling temps tonight. 39º is predicted.
This is after 11hrs of burning on a 3/4 load. The stove is at 325º, house is a comfortable 72-74º depending on which room one is in. The stove is running great.

IMG_3102.jpg

Making me jealous. 11 hours after a 3/4 load in an F400….. well you know you’ve been there.

Reactions: rijim
You're colder than us now, begreen. We had two weeks of most nights below freezing, but then it turned warm several days ago. Only 54F now, going down to 49F... might not even light a stove, for that.

I haven't listened to them. It's just a big stove with a softer, steady gentle warmth.

I just put on 2 splits in anticipation of falling temps tonight. 39º is predicted.
This is after 11hrs of burning on a 3/4 load. The stove is at 325º, house is a comfortable 72-74º depending on which room one is in. The stove is running great.

View attachment 301851
Wow your stove is efficient. How big is the firebox?

3 cu ft. but the actual loadable area is more like 2.7 cu ft.
Our normal shoulder season reload cycle is 12 hrs. In cold weather that drops down to 8 hrs.

Reactions: Ashful
I'v had two small fires in central NC. Will be 80 degrees here this week so my burn season has yet to start.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'v had two small fires in central NC. Will be 80 degrees here this week so my burn season has yet to start.
And it’s been dry so I’m expecting 11 month pine around 13%. When we get the cold I’ll be good and warm!

Reactions: stoveliker
It was record-breaking warm just a couple of weeks ago. Friends up north just got 4" of snow overnight. Looks like November is living up to its name, the no month. No autumn this year.

Bg did you use the top down method on this 3/4 load fire? Do you use it and does it work on 1/2 loads?

Bg did you use the top down method on this 3/4 load fire? Do you use it and does it work on 1/2 loads?
Yes I did. And yes, it will also work on a half load.

Since then each reload has been on hot coals.

and running. The temp this morning was 43º. It was time to wake the gentle giant. Burning a 3/4 load this morning. And like a magnet, the cat moved in the moment the stove was lit and has not left since. When I went to turn down the air he gave an appreciative chortle.

View attachment 301819
did i sell you that 602? (not in photo obviously) i remember sending a jotul out west many moons ago

We still have the 602, it's in the greenhouse. It doesn't see much action these days, but who knows? We are jumping right into winter here. No autumn. A friend up north had this happen overnight.
312659568_5860833303946849_3882945475433248420_n.jpg

View attachment 301819
LOL. I'll never understand how cats know the split second you light the stove. Mine are always instantly there too.

Reactions: begreen