American Wood Fiber Hardwood - thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chemistrynut

Jan 20, 2014
Upstate, NY
Wondering if anyone had an opinion on these pellets in terms of heat output/ ash etc. Burned 5 tons of Easy Blaze last year and 2 of the 5 pallets were horrible in terms of stove performance/ash. The other 3 pallets were as I remember Easy Blaze. Solid, good heat, minimal ash so I was looking for another option and had honed in on this one. Thanks in advance.

Wondering if anyone had an opinion on these pellets in terms of heat output/ ash etc. Burned 5 tons of Easy Blaze last year and 2 of the 5 pallets were horrible in terms of stove performance/ash. The other 3 pallets were as I remember Easy Blaze. Solid, good heat, minimal ash so I was looking for another option and had honed in on this one. Thanks in advance.
I had issues with them on my Harman P-43. The pellets would bridge and not feed into the auger. I would come home and the stove would be off. I’d take my hand and stir the pellets in the hopper and would hear them drop.

This only happened to my P-43. I had no problems with them in my Harman Accentra insert. They had good heat and the ash content was ok.

Reactions: Chemistrynut
As a long time burner of EZblaze and Matra the problem is the fines... waaay to much.
they build up on top of the slide plate and stop the pellets from dropping in,,
looks like it's a funneling problem like they are sticking to the sides of the hopper but in fact they are just not dropping
past the slide plate and build up on the sides... at least in my P61A,,, very high heat output with both of them..
AWF we're very good softie yrs ago but haven;t burned in yrs so can't vouch for them these days when pellet brands keep
changing yr to yr..

They have burned good for me in the past, but then hadn't burned any for a few years but just picked up 2 ton for this year

I went to every place I could think of to buy one bag of every wood pellet brand I could find. 2 local feed stores and the Tractor Supply is carrying a pellet that says "Premium Hardwood Pellet Fuel" but in smaller print on the bottom says "American Wood Fiber" produced in Maryland. Is this the same brand you're talking about? Anyway, was leaning toward getting this but going to burn a 40-pound bag before committing to a pallet. It's the cheapest at 250 a pallet before taxes and the closest to my house. I will have to make several trips with only having a car to move them with. Another pellet brand I found is called "i-heat". Also, from another local feed store going for $300 a pallet. Lowes is selling Green Supreme for $350. I went to Rural King, and they have "Freedom and "Easy--- something but did not bother buying either. Really wanted to get a softwood pellet from hearing Serenity Stoves not agreeing to hardwood, but oh well.
OIP.CbyAfp5v6MV06KZn3Eba4gHaJ4

I also ran into the AWF pellets for the first time this year. I mostly run Lignetics Green Supreme Appalachian Hardwood pellets in my Maxim 255pe. I test ran 50 bags to see how they performed relative to the green supreme (which have been the best hardwood pellets i've used in my area). And they seemed very comparable to the Green Supreme. Now keep in mind that in my Maxim I don't care about the amount of ash. I only care about heat produced. I did like the bag that the AWF pellets came in. It was heavy duty and did a good job of keeping the pellets dry.

Reactions: jonj3233
I went to every place I could think of to buy one bag of every wood pellet brand I could find. 2 local feed stores and the Tractor Supply is carrying a pellet that says "Premium Hardwood Pellet Fuel" but in smaller print on the bottom says "American Wood Fiber" produced in Maryland. Is this the same brand you're talking about? Anyway, was leaning toward getting this but going to burn a 40-pound bag before committing to a pallet. It's the cheapest at 250 a pallet before taxes and the closest to my house. I will have to make several trips with only having a car to move them with. Another pellet brand I found is called "i-heat". Also, from another local feed store going for $300 a pallet. Lowes is selling Green Supreme for $350. I went to Rural King, and they have "Freedom and "Easy--- something but did not bother buying either. Really wanted to get a softwood pellet from hearing Serenity Stoves not agreeing to hardwood, but oh well.
Yes those are the same pellets just in a different bag for box stores. Back when I had my Serenity all I ever burned was hardwoods and never had an issue, sure they may have been a little more ashy then softwoods but never any burning issues.

Reactions: jonj3233
The American Wood Fiber pellets I had issues with were produced at their Circleville, OH plant which is south of Columbus. I have no idea if that mill is still operating today.

I was going to go with these after burning 4 bags but when I went shopping today for an ash vacuum at Tractor Supply, I found out they were selling Green Supreme for 4.99 a bag so I bought a pallet of that. Not bad but in my opinion Green Supreme is better with that price. TS says they will match anyone else's prices on any pellets.