Alternatives to Summers Heat 50-SNC13LC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

closer9

Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2009
SW MO
Well, considering double wall appears to actually increase clearances, and I have a tight spot of 9" on the just the pipe, plenty of room around the stove, I'm considering other stoves.

I'm just curious if someone can recommend comparable stoves in both form/fit/function and price... If it has to be shipped I'd rather it not be more than the roughly $800 or so I would pay for the Summers Heat (I have a 10% coupon to lowes, and it's $800 before taxes)...

With the exception of the stove pipe clearance, the SNC13 is exactly what I need.

Would one of those stove pipe heat shields work? I forget how much they reduce the clearance. Or maybe a non comb material on the wall? (Cement board, tile)

What it the clearance on Class A?

If you have a pipe clearance problem changing the stove will not help...

Matt

The pipe clearance should be fine, as long as you meet the stove clearance. If the place where the pipe is within the pipe specs (usually 7") is more than XX inches (whatever the stove clearance is) away, you should be fine. I think the issue with the 13NC is that the double-wall causes the stove to burn hotter, requiring more clearance... Or that's the theory I think. Therefore, if you meet stove clearances the pipe being within 9" should be fine, since most stoves (including the 30NC, which sends a lot more heat up my double-wall pipe with 3+ cu ft of dry wood going than a 13 would with 2.0 cu ft of wood) only require about 7" from double wall pipe. I'd confirm with Englander what the issue is, maybe talk to the engineers not the customer svce though.

My clearances are okay with the stove itself, but the stove manual says I need 13" from the pipe for single and 15.5" from the pipe for double. Unless I'm reading this wrong... http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/13-NC2004.pdf However, turn the stove 45 degrees, and the pipe clearance drops to 8.5". I'm confused. I emailed stoveguy2esw (his PM box is full), but never got a reply... I guess I need to try to contact Englander directly, huh?

The instructions are confusing. The way I read them, there are "stove" clearances and "stovepipe" clearances and you have to satisfy both. In this case, the stovepipe must be 18" from the wall.(bottom right pic page 6) If you do this, it makes the distance B approx 14", which satisfies the min clearance of 10". It's as if the 18" stove pipe clearance overrides the actual stove clearance.
This is how I installed my 13.

Personally I can't see how you can locate the stove with distance B being 10". This would leave the pipe only approx 14" from the wall. Don't forget the 18" clearance to ceiling if going thru the wall. (top right page 6)

Well, the only thing that concerns me is a shelf that will be9" away from the pipe. I guess if there some king of shield I can get for the shelf then I'm okay otherwise, but yes, the instructions are confusing seem to almost contradict themselves... :(

The instructions are confusing. I just installed the very stove are talking about, ( and love it btw ) at a 45 in the corner I did install cement backer and tile on the botton 3' of the wall, and plan to add stove heat sheilds at some point just to satisfy myself. . I took the instructions to be written backward. The whole idea that double insualted pipe would cause you to need more clearance is just contrary to common sense. Selkirk specs say thier double wall pipe requires only 6", and single wall always requires 18". If you get an answer from englander, I sure would be intersted to know if I was wrong. so I could fix it.

I don't know how much it is at Lowes out where you are, but here's a link to an online source.
http://doitbest.com/Wood_+Coal+and+...t-sku-404725.dib?memberid=1082&associate=true

If you have a local store to you, they will ship it there for free. It's the same stove though, not an alternative.

murph said:
The instructions are confusing. I just installed the very stove are talking about, ( and love it btw ) at a 45 in the corner I did install cement backer and tile on the botton 3' of the wall, and plan to add stove heat sheilds at some point just to satisfy myself. . I took the instructions to be written backward. The whole idea that double insualted pipe would cause you to need more clearance is just contrary to common sense. Selkirk specs say thier double wall pipe requires only 6", and single wall always requires 18". If you get an answer from englander, I sure would be intersted to know if I was wrong. so I could fix it.

I don't know how much it is at Lowes out where you are, but here's a link to an online source.
http://doitbest.com/Wood_+Coal+and+...t-sku-404725.dib?memberid=1082&associate=true

If you have a local store to you, they will ship it there for free. It's the same stove though, not an alternative.

Well, I think we're going to go ahead, and go with the Summers Heat stove. I can get all the double wall pipe there, and I'll see what I can find for a heat shield, if necessary, online. It's $799 at Lowes, and I have a 10% coupon. I know they'll price match local stores, but I doubt they'll match online ads, but it's worth a try. Although, if it's not sold as a "Summers Heat" brand they probably won't.

Another thing that's kinda confusing are the letters after at the end of the stove model number. The one at our lowe's is an SNC13LC rated at 1800 sq ft, where as your link is an SNC13 rated at 1500...

I need to see if I can find out what the acceptable temperatures are at these clearances. Then just put a thermometer there...

Take a look at the Pacific Energy Super for close clearances.

closer9 said:
Well, I think we're going to go ahead, and go with the Summers Heat stove. I can get all the double wall pipe there, and I'll see what I can find for a heat shield, if necessary, online. It's $799 at Lowes, and I have a 10% coupon. I know they'll price match local stores, but I doubt they'll match online ads, but it's worth a try. Although, if it's not sold as a "Summers Heat" brand they probably won't.

Another thing that's kinda confusing are the letters after at the end of the stove model number. The one at our lowe's is an SNC13LC rated at 1800 sq ft, where as your link is an SNC13 rated at 1500...

The LC probably stands for "Lowe's Clunker" or "Lowe's Catalog" or whatever. :lol:

I picked up one from an englandstove distributor thru ebay & I don't know whether its a Summer's Heat, Timber Ridge or England. The only thing that designates them is the little printed card that comes with the stove giving the serial number, a model number and the QC inspector.

see https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38697/P22/

You can also go to http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/products.html and try to discern the difference in the NC13 between the three brands. They class them as 1500sq ft but can heat up to 1800 sq ft.

closer9 said:
murph said:

I need to see if I can find out what the acceptable temperatures are at these clearances. Then just put a thermometer there...

I purchased mine from Lowes also. It's my belief that the LC has something to do with Lowes. As mentioned in one of the previous posts. The stove is classified as a 1500 sq ft stove on the website, but manual for both says, that the stove is rated for 1800.
Also , I measured my stove this weekend. I have it installed on 45, the corners are 9.5" from a tiled wall. Buy default (geometry) the flu collar 18" from the wall. I'm still a little confused by the way the instructions are written though.

Lowes in our neck of the woods doesn't carry dbl wall pipe. Our chimney parts for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.