Alternate suggestion instead of angled insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dandawson

Nov 16, 2023
Oklahoma
I have an old "slammer" style unit that I wanted to replace with a new insert. I was planning on the smaller Osburn Matrix due to meeting the tax credit, non catalytic, aestetics and size but our local sweep just informed me I should buy an Insert with an angled liner outlet. He Said he hasn't seen a build like this in 35 years. I believe he was saying the flue is recessed deeper in the fireplace than normal. He was saying the liner exit on the insert would be too far forward and would not be far enough back for the liner. I am thinking about getting a second opinion. I'll post a few pictures. Any thoughts?

Alternate suggestion instead of angled insert Alternate suggestion instead of angled insert Alternate suggestion instead of angled insert

I have an old "slammer" style unit that I wanted to replace with a new insert. I was planning on the smaller Osburn Matrix due to meeting the tax credit, non catalytic, aestetics and size but our local sweep just informed me I should buy an Insert with an angled liner outlet. He Said he hasn't seen a build like this in 35 years. I believe he was saying the flue is recessed deeper in the fireplace than normal. He was saying the liner exit on the insert would be too far forward and would not be far enough back for the liner. I am thinking about getting a second opinion. I'll post a few pictures. Any thoughts?

View attachment 328783

View attachment 328784

View attachment 328785

There are angled connectors but I'm not sure if that's enough.

You do need additional non-combustible hearth in front of it for safety.

Some folks have a metal plate, painted in the same color as the stove. You can remove it in the off-season. But there are other options too.

Are there lower intake vents on the sides of this fireplace? Does it have firebrick or metal walls?

Yes, there are two other vents. One on each side. It is an old heatform/heatilator style fireplace. I can attach a picture of the tubes along the back of the unit.

Are there lower intake vents on the sides of this fireplace? Does it have firebrick or metal walls?