Air intake CFM value - 3" piped-in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Everybody is right. I think that my set constraint of the operating temperature being above 85 Deg C (185 Deg F) as I specified, could potentially still have burning wood. I think I will test it on a few burns and take some various measurements. The project is not complete yet anyway.
Something would have to be very wrong with your setup if your stt drops that low while still burning actual wood

Agreed, but not on rise from a cold start. I must document this burn-end via photos & temperature reading simultaneously at various points. "what does the load look like & status at failing lower stove temperature. Really interesting detail. Thanks

Agreed, but not on rise from a cold start. I must document this burn-end via photos & temperature reading simultaneously at various points. "what does the load look like & status at failing lower stove temperature. Really interesting detail. Thanks
What is you typical draft measurement?

I don't know. I one 90 elbow in the 40 inch single wall stove pipe and one Tee in the Stainless Steel run (Flue & trap) in the basement of a bungalow. Draft is really good. Because of the large mass of this stove and a 3.5 Cubic feet firebox, it is not always an easy stove to start.

I don't know. I one 90 elbow in the 40 inch single wall stove pipe and one Tee in the Stainless Steel run (Flue & trap) in the basement of a bungalow. Draft is really good. Because of the large mass of this stove and a 3.5 Cubic feet firebox, it is not always an easy stove to start.
How can you be doing all of this and not know your draft? That is the most basic and important measurement when setting up a woodstove. And if the stove is hard to start what makes you think your draft is really good?

I don't have the value on the top of my head. That was four years ago. Met all the specs at that time.
Ok but that stove is an easy breather. It absolutely should not be hard to start. Something isn't right

most time it is started with zero ashes and in a cold uninsulated basement.
Why zero ashes? And if you want to heat with the stove you are going to need to insulate the basement. You are wasting a large percentage of your BTUs without that

At these staged there is little lagging of thermal conductivity .
On startup is when the lag is the greatest. Note the difference in stovetop vs digital flue temps here on startup.