Air intake - any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

back2basics

May 16, 2022
Western WA
We've had 3-4 fires so far in the last couple weeks. It's now getting cold enough out that we will probably be burning almost every day. I have noticed that my stove isn't burning very well. I did a full clean out/sweep (all the things) on it towards the end of summer. It's not the wood - it's very dry. I'm guessing now that the cold air intake under the stove has some kind of blockage (spider webs?). It's a PE Super 27 stove. Is there any way to clean that out from inside the stove? I'd really like to avoid crawling on my stomach under the house about 50 feet from the access over to where my stove is.

A blockage of the primary air intake is not likely. It is a simple mechanism with a clear shot. The problem lies elsewhere. It's still pretty mild in Western WA where we are and draft is weak. This week it should improve quite a bit with nighttime temps in the low 40s.

When the full clean was done, was the chimney cap removed and the screen cleaned? Was the baffle's secondary tube stuffed with a rag before cleaning?

Describe the flue system on the stove in detail including height, diameter, tees, and elbows.

How has the wood dryness been checked?

ice cold and clean stove. And a shop vac on the exterior air intake?

The air intake on the PE is at the bottom, right front as one faces the stove. It would be very hard to plug. If there is an OAK, it dumps into the a plenum, but this does not directly connect to the air intake. At 64º (present temp) draft is likely to be quite poor, especially with a shorter flue setup.

Sounds like a repeat of last winter's questions:

Trending content