Adding a stove top temperature controlled blower switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I made a modification just now.

I really got tired of the thermo snap switch that turned the fan on and off when on auto-took forever to turn on, etc. I managed to delete it and run the wires over to the thermo controller. The high temp alarm now turns the fan on and off depending on stove top temp. I have it set at 200F with 10 degree hysteresis band. I lost my high temp notifications I got through my home automation system, when it went over 700F, but I think I can live without that.

Reactions: Nate R
200º STT is a pretty low set point, I would set the on temp around 4-500º and the off temp around 200º.

I can choose only one on/off temp for low speed fan. 200 is fine. When starting a fire just now, the temp was at 180 and door was still open when it was burning well and I closed it. Temp rises fast (dry wood?). Just now, the high speed fan turned on at 710. Then, turned off at 690. Have to get up off the sofa now and adjust air.

I'm burning the uglies now. They move faster.

I just noticed that Auber has a thermocouple with a high temperature magnet. The form factor seems to be well suited to an insert with low headroom in the air outlet, for access to stove top. I would've gotten this if they had made it then.

Saw this post about your auto fan setup and was wanting to do something similar. I’d like to retain my current switches but have the controller automatically turn the fan on high when it get to over 725° and then back to low below that. Is this something that would work with this? https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1083
and this

this was the only Sensor that I could find that would work for above 700°.

also do you have pics of your wiring and how u set it up? Thanks in advance.