Acceptable distance between brick and stove when rear clearance to combustibles is met

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
If I meet the required clearance to the rear combustibles behind my one layer of brick, is there a minimum distance that should be followed between the stove and the brick safety?

For example, assume a stove has a rear clearance to combustibles of 6". If the rear wall as a 4.5" layer of brick, is it acceptable to have the stove 1.5" from the brick? It appears to meet the clearance requirements but not sure if having the stove that close to the brick is bad.

Yes, the clearance is to the nearest combustible. Make sure when reading clearance that it's not for an approved wall shield, but the plain wall clearance.

What stove is this for?

I was originally looking at the BK Ashford. I spoke to BK and they told me that they thought I would encounter issues with the thermostat since it near the back of the stove.

I came across the PE Super LE over the weekend and it appears to be a well regarded stove. I reached out to PE to see what they had to say about the stove being 1-2 inches off of the brick but I have not heard back. I reached out again this morning so hopefully someone will get back to me.

The Super LE with double-wall stove pipe will be fine. One caveat, the optional blower kit sticks out the back of the stove by 3". If that is in the plans it would be better to have the stove 4" off the brick.