Accentra 52i looking to confirm the hopper size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KenP62

Dec 22, 2022
Burlington, CT
I purchased the larges hopper size Accentra 52i insert (65#) and the hopper measures 24" high as it should for the 65# hopper, but loading into an empty hopper I can only get about 48# before completely full. Anybody else notice this discrepancy?

Pellet density and species can play a factor in that. As you know, an equal size piece of pine is much lighter than a piece of oak.

Are you "stuffing" them? Most of us gently poor pellets in, as to not throw up much dust, and on both my stoves, when full, I can use my hand, or a pot scraper,stir or push, they settle, and I can put in usually 1/3 more of a bag.

My Harmon Accentra is spec'd to hold 50# but I only ever put 1 40# bag of hardwood pellets in at a time. 1 bag fits easily with a little headroom in the hopper.

A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of bags from Tractor Supply that didn't fit. i.e. I couldn't dump a whole bag in the hopper. Turns out the store was storing their bags outside and they'd absorbed a lot of moisture, making them swollen. I only buy from box stores now where they store the pellets in warehouses.

So pellet density is important and so is how they're stored.