A taste of fall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
Woke up this morning (at 4.30am) to 62 degrees and a NNE wind at 18 mph. After the showers past we turned off the ac and opened up the windows. I was smoking a pork shoulder. Decided to put on the camo. It felt great.... it felt a little like fall in july.. i loved it. What a great day. Will be sleeping with the windows open tonight. Cant wait till burning season. Will be lighting a fire in roughly 60 days.

The count down begins

Woke up this morning (at 4.30am) to 62 degrees and a NNE wind at 18 mph. After the showers past we turned off the ac and opened up the windows. I was smoking a pork shoulder. Decided to put on the camo. It felt great.... it felt a little like fall in july.. i loved it. What a great day. Will be sleeping with the windows open tonight. Cant wait till burning season. Will be lighting a fire in roughly 60 days.

The count down begins

Same here in WV...actually put in a jacket for a few this morning.

Looks like you had a visit from a nor'easter. Not common in late July.

Low 70's in NC today. Wifey really enjoyed it as opposed to the humidity we usually have. I'll take it.

We had a high of 75 in the NC mountains today. Very cool for July and it reminds me of the fall.
I am ready, willing, and able to crank up the Jotul when it gets cold.

woke up to 45F here in upstate NY, feels more like late September than almost August. Though I'm not complaining I prefer this to 95F with 95% humidity <>

Woke up this morning to 59 degrees.. it was great sleeping weather. Windows open. Feels like September.. its not going to last long as we have the 90s and high humidity in the forcast for the latter part of the week, but what a nice little stretch of weather we got. Niice little break from the normal july tepms.

With a giant hole in my house currently, it was 50 degrees downstairs when I stumbled down to the coffee maker this morning...what month is this?

A taste of fall

Its been so beautiful here these past 2 days, yesterday was a north breeze and around 70, with dry air, this morning it was 52 out when the cat woke me up.
I've read on a few weather forums a few nerds saying they're going to lite there woodstoves, one in the mountains of western MD and one up north in New Hampshire.
To me the cool reprieve is welcomed, the house is aired out, getting plenty of yard work done.

We had a high of 75 in the NC mountains today. Very cool for July and it reminds me of the fall.

Wow! I feel sorry for all you further south and east. By those standards, those of us in the Pacific Northwest have had beautiful fall weather all summer long! I don't think it has rained in 7 weeks or so.

Wow! I feel sorry for all you further south and east. By those standards, those of us in the Pacific Northwest have had beautiful fall weather all summer long! I don't think it has rained in 7 weeks or so.

We have had some heat.. the previous week it was 95/96 degrees with dew points of 76... it was extremely uncomfortable. This break was definitely welcome. Working on our 7th heat wave here in the mid atlantic. The dew points are lower this time so its not terrible.

54 degrees here in the mountains of western North Carolina this morning.... I must say though that I am not ready for winter yet. We are enjoying the summer months :)

Still desert heat here... consistently in the high 80's and low 90's every day. We cool off come November. Being 5 miles from the Ocean helps keep it from being hotter.

Greg

Last edited:
The next few days are not going to be fun in Portland
A taste of fall

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rangerbait
Been staying cool here in NC and the cicadas started chirping about 2 weeks ago. Starting to hear them all throughout the day...
If the old wives tale is true, first frost will be around the beginning of September.

Last edited:
I do wish that it would actually get cold here though... still pushing upper 80's. At least over the weekend, we got some rain and that felt nice.... :)

Big cool down coming for much of the eastern half of the country next week.Im looking forward to the cooler weather.Ive had enough bugs and humidity to last until next year!

Left coast is going into just the opposite. Big heat wave showing up for the next few days.

Nice! Is that a room addition, or a deck/door?
This was a deck rebuild, with a new door. The wall used to be there and was just asking for a door. Lucked out and found one the perfect size the day before we put in the deck. It really changes the space.

101 today... I hug the stove to cool off. ;)
Greg

Supposed to get that hot here today & tomorrow. Very unusual for us here in the Coast Range...........anything over 80 & we feel like we are melting. That with all the smoke from fires in WA circling in & outside is not the place to be! At least it cools down here at night into the 60's always & we can turn on the AC (= air cooling = open windows w/fans running).

Most of the smoke is coming from fires in BC delivered to the south by the prevailing north winds. It blew into WA state yesterday morning. The change was pretty dramatic as the satellite images show.
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/