A little help for a rookie?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

chasemfetters

Jan 24, 2012
Ponca City, OK
Just want to say that I'm am new at this wood burning and this site has been of some great help. I just purchased a Pleasant Hearth 1800 sqft wood stove for my home. Built the hearth this last weekend and figured I would do a test run on the stove outside tonight to burn off the new paint smell and get adjusted to it since the chimney will not be installed till this Friday. I have some seasoned hackberry (1 year or so) got a good bed of coals stuck two logs one and couldnt get the temp over 180. Is this normal? Is it because I don't have a chimney on the stove? Also everytime I closed the damper or the door all the way the fire would die out. Do I need a damper in the chimney itself? I would appreciate any help I could get.

I would venture to say it would not burn good without a chimney to draw and certainly would not be able to throttle it back without a chimney.

Gotta have a chimney. These stoves rely on a good draft for proper operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.