A couple venting questions for a soon to be pellet stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott51

Dec 20, 2013
Indiana
All, I am about to purchase a Harman XXV for my current home but to be moved to a newly constructed home next year. We are going to use the stove as supplement heat as the new home will have an air to air heat pump with propane backup. For now I'm going to vent this stove through a steel plate covering a masonary fireplace and use the the clay chimney to exhaust the stove. My question is: Can I bring an aluminum vent pipe back down the chimney and through that plate for outside air? I would have this pipe turn down out of the chimney as to not draw fumes back into the stove. I realy don't have any other way to get air to the stove without doing some damage to the fireplace or engineering something pretty ugly that goes across the hearth to an outside wall. The fireplace is on a slab. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Welcome Scott
Option 2 is not use an oak for that short period of time before the move and have the stove use the room air

boo boo probably has the easiest option. Has your clay chimney been inspected and approved? Don't want combustion gases to escape into the house ... If you have to use a liner at that point, reconsider running the oak as well.

Edit: Check local codes and insurance company to see if you have to use a chimney liner anyway...

Reactions: Madcodger
Status
Not open for further replies.