A beautiful morning for wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I know that the saying "I'm living the dream" has become meaningless because it is used so much, but you are definitely living the dream and it's clear that you are rightfully enjoying it. Here's to you!

Reactions: livetosail
[Hearth.com] A beautiful morning for wood

Spent almost the entire day out here today, sawing up the big tree I dropped last week. 24in diameter at the base. Approximately 55ft of trunk before the first branches. All straight. Beautiful white oak.

Gonna have plenty to split for the next few days now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BenTN
Had a great (but grey) Saturday in the woods today. This cord is done.

View attachment 224521

Have about half the big tree left to split. Easter is just around the corner, too.

I think the racks look real good. The photo of the end of a buck shows good tight growth rings, a lot like the Black Ash I’ve cut up up here. The last big Black Ash I bucked up had 160 rings on a 20" diameter buck.

I think the racks look real good. The photo of the end of a buck shows good tight growth rings, a lot like the Black Ash I’ve cut up up here. The last big Black Ash I bucked up had 160 rings on a 20" diameter buck.

Wow! You counted all those rings!?!

I started a new Rick between these two trees. March has been colder and snowier than February this year. The good news is that I have already C/S/S’d everything I need for next year. Now I’m just playing around... like this chicken. :)

Wow! You counted all those rings!?!

View attachment 225228

I started a new Rick between these two trees. March has been colder and snowier than February this year. The good news is that I have already C/S/S’d everything I need for next year. Now I’m just playing around... like this chicken. :)

Yes I counted all of the rings on that big Black Ash. I figured it started growing up here in the time of the Civil War. We just got 7" of new snow up here too and they said it’s the coldest March in 6 years. Tonight’s low will be around 2 above and a little warmer tomorrow night at 9 above zero.

Beautiful white oaks! Someone cleared about 20 oak and beech trees like that just 5mi from my work. I was able to grab 5 bed loads before my space was all full.

Only there 14mo? Hopefully there long enough to burn all that. I'm in a similar situation. Either leaving in 6 mo or staying 10+ yrs.

Are you planning to top cover? On some racks like that I added some 4' cross beams and laid tarps across. Leave some slack on one side to create a slope for water to run off. It seasons much faster and keeps the wood looking nice. Especially oak will take a LONG time without some cover.

That is a beautiful thing. A cool morning and a nice fresh oak tree to cut and split. I love it.