A beautiful morning for wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

livetosail

Nov 12, 2017
Maryland
Pardon the juvenile title. :)

[Hearth.com] A beautiful morning for wood

Dropped this 55ft beauty last night just before dinner. Got up early this morning with one thing on my mind- let’s process some wood!

[Hearth.com] A beautiful morning for wood [Hearth.com] A beautiful morning for wood

Reasonable size. Should make for a good bit of wood.

33 degrees this morning with a high in the mid-40s. Perfect weather for lumberjackin’.

Here’s to a beautiful Friday in the woods!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice drop, nice straight tree, should be very satisfying. Is that Hickory?

Reactions: livetosail
My lack of wood identifying skills are showing :(

Forest: a large area dominated by trees.

Source: dictionary.com

Smart ass. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, I was going by what we say up here, forests are big areas of trees primarily owned by the US or by the state but some counties up here have forests too. Land with trees owned by us minions is called woods. But it was just in jest anyways... cheers! :)

Very nice! I especially like that last picture with the sun peeking through.....

Had a great day working on these three white oak trees.

Put together this stand nearby after clearing some land of briars and dead leaves. It’ll be filled with the first two (smaller) trees easily. I’ll have to make another for the larger tree.

The whole family spent a few hours out there with me, gathering and stacking wood and helping clear the area. My 10yr old split his first Log today. I was very proud.

Split and stacked a few rounds, which filled about half a Rick already. I am splitting them small because I intend to use them in the stove this coming winter (about 10 months from now), so I need to encourage it to dry as much as possible.

Spent about 6.5 hours straight in the forest... I mean woods... today. Can’t think of anything I’d rather do on a beautiful, sunny Saturday in March than this.

Oh, except maybe eating a nice steak and drinking an ice cold beer. :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful morning it was. Did that tree jump off the stump at you or did you pull it out of a hang-up? It will make a sweet pile-o-wood for sure.

Beautiful morning it was. Did that tree jump off the stump at you or did you pull it out of a hang-up? It will make a sweet pile-o-wood for sure.

It was actually quite a funny ordeal. I cut down the large tree- just over 55ft tall and 22in in diameter at the base. Since my woods are so dense, trees frequently get hung up on each other. This one leaned on another, smaller one that I had intended to take down anyway. So I cut it down, which then leaned on a third tree. So the domino chain was a bit scary for a few minutes, until a nice gust of wind blew the two cut trees off and allowed them to fall nicely side by side. I cut the third tree, then dragged it with the 4x4 until it, too, was parallel with the others.

I cut up the medium sized tree today and split and stacked about 6 rounds. Next I’ll cut the smaller (12in diameter, about 39 ft tall) tree, and then I’ll take care of the big fella last. It’ll all be done within the month, and I’ll have plenty of pictures of wood (and beer) along the way. :)

Reactions: BenTN
I feel your pain with hung trees. My forest is very dense. Glad it got to the ground safe. I would not advise ever cutting a tree that I recently hung one in. Maybe cut another behind to give it a push, but never the holding tree. My uncle nearly lost his life doing this and several pros have died the same way. Not trying to be safety police just want everyone safe at home enjoying their dinner and beverage of choice at the end of the day.

I wish I had a wood lot of white oaks, nice stuff!

Come on over! You can have as much as you want!

The sad thing is that we are only going to live here 14 more months (mil family on orders), so I won’t be able to really manage the forest- er, woods- the way I want to. If I knew I’d be living here longer I would be harvesting and selling wood like a mad man.

I walked the 10acre property the first year I bought the place and tried counting mature trees. I gave up after 200. No, I’m not kidding.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Not trying to be safety police just want everyone safe at home enjoying their dinner and beverage of choice at the end of the day.

I hear you, BenTN, and I fully agree. Those situations are widow makers, and not to be taken lightly at all. In my case I ran a series of snatch blocks and come alongs to keep the tree leaning where I wanted it to, and allowing me sufficient safety to get up close. Had the wind not taken care of the last bit I was planning on renting a bucket truck since the tops of the trees were up against other trees alongside the road. I was extremely thankful for the outcome I got. When it comes to hung up trees, there are really no good options.

Reactions: BenTN
Nice drop and beautiful score. A lot of nice straight grained splitting to go.

But why all of the lumber and carpentry?

When I drop one in the woods I use other trees for end caps and throw a few dead fall pine rails on the ground to get air underneath.Fast and cheap.

Come on over! You can have as much as you want!

The sad thing is that we are only going to live here 14 more months (mil family on orders), so I won’t be able to really manage the forest- er, woods- the way I want to. If I knew I’d be living here longer I would be harvesting and selling wood like a mad man.

I walked the 10acre property the first year I bought the place and tried counting mature trees. I gave up after 200. No, I’m not kidding.

That would be nice, I’m sure just a couple of mature trees would hold me for awhile.

Nice drop and beautiful score. A lot of nice straight grained splitting to go.

But why all of the lumber and carpentry?

When I drop one in the woods I use other trees for end caps and throw a few dead fall pine rails on the ground to get air underneath.Fast and cheap.

Good point! I thought the same thing... after I finished building the stands. :)

Chickens kept me company today while I continued working these trees into useful fuel.

Got the kids involved and had them cut up 7in rounds into kindling. They did such a good job I decided to build a quick stand to allow us to stand and season it!

Each of these is less than an inch.

It was another good day in the woods.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Awesome post. Does anyone recommend any reading material that describes forest management for dummies? As in, how do you know which trees to drop, what constitutes as "mature", etc. Basic beginners stuff.