6 Mil Plastic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since some of our covers have some bad spots, (water getting through) my plan was to get a roll of 6 mil plastic, I would put that under the original covers. Would it even matter if it were clear or black?

Interesting question. Black certainly attracts heat, but letting the light through like glass coverts the rays to heat.

In practice, it probably doesn’t matter. I’d probably move the boat tarp over to the woodpile and buy a new boat tarp for the winter.

Interesting question. Black certainly attracts heat, but letting the light through like glass coverts the rays to heat.

In practice, it probably doesn’t matter. I’d probably move the boat tarp over to the woodpile and buy a new boat tarp for the winter.
The boat was never kept or stored outside so we don't have a tarp, I'll go with the clear.

Depending on how big or small the holes are I have used tenacious tape with good sucess for smaller jobs.
Thanks for the link but I'm thinking the sun has really damaged the whole tarp, whatever waterproofing they had on them, has seen there best day.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
Is this an excuse for a more permanent roof? Tarps aren’t cheap!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Is this an excuse for a more permanent roof? Tarps aren’t cheap!
No but that would be nice. I won't be buying any tarps this year, we'll see how long the plastic lasts.

Black plastic will last much longer outside than clear will...same for zip ties, always use black outside.

See if you can locate some used pond liner. 6 mil black plastic only lasted 2-3 yrs for me when exposed to sunlight. I have some used pond liner and it is much tougher.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I use used EPDM rubber roofing...works the best of anything that I've tried, and I've tried just about everything...old metal roofing and EPDM are my go to's now.

My current favorite, much better and cheaper than 6mil visqueen is synthetic roofing underlayment. I used a lot of black plastic and it’s good but I won’t be buying anymore.