30 NCH in Basement - Insulation to Close?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
I have started the work to finish and insulate my basement. The concrete walls are 3/4 foam on the outside, 3/4 foam on the inside followed by 2x4 studded walls with insulation and vapor barrier plastic. I have noticed the plastic vapor barrier around the stove area is getting pretty hot, this is 34 in from the the 30 NCH. Should I be concerned and cover the walls with plywood or sheet rock? I was hoping to do this in stages and continue to burn but this is kind of alarming.

It should be ok at that distance but if you are concerned put a sheet of a noncombustible material like metal or cement board between the stove and plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.