2020 and retailers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends upon your but needs. If you are burung low most of the times then yes absolutly vats are more efficient. But i have seen no gain in efficency over the noncat.
Yeah, but you and I, don't set any standards. I was not based on my need or situation. I was saying just in general. For every you, there are many others happy with....... And for every me, there are many others happy with non cat stoves.
Like I said my comment is in general and manufacturers data. we all know in the real world, things can be different due to many variables.

Reactions: bholler
The cleaner the better but, what about efficiency? I think on efficiency, cats and hybrids are the winners here. Maybe I am wrong. On the consumer side efficiency can be the main factor cause is less hard work or money spent etc. We all benefit from cleaner emissions. Lets see what is the compromise with efficiency.

My wood is free. Well, accept for the hours of work and tools. Anyway, paying more for a cat or hybrid made no sense for me. The extra $2,000+ could buy many propane tanks worth of fuel which would supply heat for many years. And add that with the extra maintenance and care of the more tech/complicated stoves that I have read about.

Also, no one knows what their actual efficiency is in their situation. And both non cat, cat, and even us economy stove owners are happy with their wood stoves ability of burning.

The stress, planning and execution of owning a retail business is why many do not choose that path. Hopefully all will be successfully.

So you have to sell 50 stoves in 14 months and that is a problem? You have 6 months from the start of 2020 to sell off your old stock it dienst sound unreasonable at all
It’s not that simple. In order to move the stoves you’ve gotta find a buyer for that display, sell at almost no profit while ordering all new displays and stock. Some stoves are an easy sale, others are around until the right person is interested. We will be fine, but some stores are operating on very tight margins, and simply can’t afford to replace every stove while selling them off at little to no profit. Once people find out there’s a new stove replacing this one, they want the new one. As if you are trying to sell them an old lemon or something...

Do you have any actual info to back up that paranoia?

Not paranoia. Just a natural progression. If the standards get too tough and you must burn a commercially processed fuel then that will be your only option. Like it or not.

If changes to meet new emissions are minor and not too much modifications to existing models except baffles, tubes etc, if efficiency is also better, manufacturers should come up with a DIY retrofit kit for those who want to convert their present stoves. Tubes kit, baffle kit, bigger cat etc.

If changes to meet new emissions are minor and not too much modifications to existing models except baffles, tubes etc, if efficiency is also better, manufacturers should come up with a DIY retrofit kit for those who want to convert their present stoves. Tubes kit, baffle kit, bigger cat etc.
That would void the UL listing on the stove, it could make a huge difference on safe clearances too. Mainly though, the epa would miss out on millions of dollars that manufacturers spend on testing. There’s no way that’s miss out on that!

It is a pretty big deal anyway, slight modifications can make a huge difference in the combustion efficiency.

Reactions: bholler and lsucet
Not paranoia. Just a natural progression. If the standards get too tough and you must burn a commercially processed fuel then that will be your only option. Like it or not.
And what examples of that progression can you give? People say things like this all the time but can .Never give examples

bholler said:
There really is very little push to get rid of woodstoves in the vast majority of the country.

Enviro regulations dont come from the vast majority of the country. They come from greenie thinktanks in Geneva. They count on people that just go along faithfully and blindly.

And what examples of that progression can you give? People say things like this all the time but can .Never give examples

I hope you arent too fond of your automobile. Its on the phaseout list too.

Enviro regulations dont come from the vast majority of the country. They come from greenie think tanks in Geneva. They count on people that just go along faithfully and blindly.

I hope you arent too fond of your automobile. Its on the phaseout list too.
Still waiting for examples that have actually happened. I am not asking for examples of more unfounded paranoia

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ryanwc
Per house rules, keep politics out of the threads. The topic is wood stove retail sales.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.