2019 built used PE Super LE purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millar

Sep 6, 2024
SW Ontario, Canada
Long time lurker finally joined . Have been burning wood here in the farm house I grew up in for over 40 years mainly in a wood oil combination furnace .
Sadly the wood furnace was removed last year and had major delays getting the oil furnace replaced . Installed a new chimney and my Kent Sherwood (purchased new 1985) as a backup .
Went to pull the trigger on a new PE stove at a local dealer thinking a Vista was all the size we needed .
Priced out PE Vista pedestal no ash system $2412
PE Super pedestal no ash system $2988
TN20 (didn't write price down) they claimed the TN20 or Vista didn't do an overnight burn so discounted those models
Prices are without tax .

Had decided on the Super and was going to go back and buy one the next week. That was until I saw a marketplace ad for a Super LE with legs and ash system supposedly used less than one full season. For sale because of owners physical restrictions. Half an hour drive away , looked good and came with double wall piping/elbows ,kettle ,thermo, owners manual, original invoice, also three people to help load . That last part was worth a a hundred bucks easy.
Have taken baffle, brick rails and insulation blankets , fire brick out and have no reason to dispute this 4 year old stove has had minimum use. Baffle gasket was non existent and will try the 3/8 rope home made version .
Saved about $1000 over what I was going to buy and even more if I were to compare same features .

Will update once it is hooked up and we get into some cold weather .
Really appreciate the excellent information available on this site , usually learn something new every time .

Congratulations. It is a Super stove. FWIW, though a simpler stove, the TN20 can do an 8-10 hr burn.

I wondered about the burn time on the Tn20 , started getting suspicious when I knew more about the stoves (from reading here) than the sales person did. Another reason I wasn't in a rush to buy it the day I was there . Also being the hottest week of the summer ☀️.

Found 2 other dealers with baffle gaskets , they have them for 3 bucks each. 3/8 rope gasket kit was 12 bucks .

Just get the stock gaskets for now. That will be one less variable when learning the stove. Be sure that the side insulation pieces are snugged up against the baffle when it's installed.