Help selecting new wood stove (NH, 1100 square ft)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jjmorse292

Sep 8, 2020
New Hampshire
1100 square foot home with above average insulation in southern New Hampshire. House is fairly open-concept and the stove will be located in a central location on a brick hearth against an exterior wall within the heated space. Will replace an old Vermont Castings Vigilant that overheats the house (or creates creosote when I run it low enough not to). Would prefer to continue using my existing 18' long 8" diameter Class A stainless chimney on the exterior of the home. I have an oil furnace as a backup, and will probably end up installing a heat pump for shoulder seasons eventually, but I try to do as much of my heating as possible with wood.

The pacific energy vista seems like it would be the perfect size in theory, but I'm afraid that burn times will be annoying short because of the small firebox. The PE Super is a strong contender, but I'm a little concerned that it might be a bit oversized and that I'll have to run it too low and run into issues - particularly because the changes for the new 2020 EPA standards might make the stove not breathe as well. Any thoughts on that?

Another contender is a BlazeKing Sirocco 30 or any of the other BlazeKing designs of that size. I love the idea of how adaptable this stove will be to the different heating requirements throughout the seasons in New Hampshire the long burn times are a bit plus, and I feel like it's the safest bet that I won't be stuck with a stove that overheats the house or on that needs reloading too frequently. I also like that the design didn't really need to be changed for 2020 EPA, so the current model is a safer bet than many other new stove designs that are available The con is, of course, the price. I could afford the $3000 price tag if it is truly the best option for me, but would much rather spend $1500 and get 90% of that quality.

Low expected maintenance and part replacement needs is definitely a plus.

I would appreciate any thoughts on these stoves, or any other stoves that should be on my radar. I'm open to a used stove if there is something that comes to mind that would be perfect for my situation, though I would prefer a fairly recent mod that will last me a long time. Thanks

Have you checked out osburn stoves?

When stove shopping take a look at the btu out put per hour, most steel stoves with a cast iron jacket will have a lower btu per hour output due to convection heating (heating the air) vs a plain steel jacket stove that is radiant in design (heats objects that then heat the room)
The BK def has its advantages in a smaller sq ft footprint vs other stoves.

The Super will not be oversized. It's a good fit. That said, you control how hot the place gets during milder weather by how much wood is put in the stove.

I would rethink the 8” chimney on any of those stoves, an oversized exterior chimney is asking for draft issues.

I'd try it out for a season. It's not ideal, but if the wood is well seasoned and dry it may not be too bad. The Super is less fussy about draft than some stoves.