2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new term for the lexicon. "I am Ashful, and I am a hole rider."

Why's that? What did I miss?

The constant chatter on the BK thread is a good sign that those running BK's have too much time left on their hands, due to the stove just cruising a day at a time, without intervention.
There have been several posts about cat maintenance. I'm just poking fun, it's about the same level of maintenance/cleaning that I perform on both of my stoves, but they are not typical non cats. The upper chamber on the Morso is an ash/soot collector as is the entire cooker. On the bright side I don't get much if any build up in my chimney for either stove.

Seems like these BK stoves need more babysitting than a noncat ;lol
Yeah, they like to tout the benefits of never having to start a fire by saving the coals through a long, low-output burn, but when all is said and done they appear to do a lot more fussing around than we ever do. Maintenance doesn't sound like any picnic, compared to my cat stove. They don't have an ash grate either and as we know, that bites.. ==c

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpaceBus
Yeah, they like to tout the benefits of never having to start a fire by saving the coals through a long, low-output burn, but when all is said and done they appear to do a lot more fussing around than we ever do. Maintenance sounds like a lot more work for them, even though I also have a cat stove. They don't have an ash grate either and as we know, that bites.. ==c

The shaker grate on the Morso is amazing. Noisy, but totally dust free. Even with a strong draft going the cooker still lets out a few ash flakes, but much less than shoveling it out the door, and no clouds. For the few weeks I used the Defiant I that came with our house (belly full of ash included) a small cloud of dust would waft out when cleaning out the ashes.

still lets out a few ash flakes, but much less than shoveling it out the door, and no clouds.
There's definitely an art to shoveling efficiently and cleanly which you can master with time, like most things you learn. I got to the point where very little dust escaped..like none. It's work, though, holding the pan under the door and depositing the ash in the pan by sliding it off the shovel, rather than dumping it. And you have to shovel out when draft is good, to contain the dust well.
But no matter how good you get, it's still a buttpain. ;lol

Last edited:
Why's that? What did I miss?
The constant chatter on the BK thread is a good sign that those running BK's have too much time left on their hands, due to the stove just cruising a day at a time, without intervention.
You missed exit 34, the one for Easy Street; You went from the Jotul 12 to a BK. ==c
If I have extra time, I'd rather blow it loafing on the internet instead of fiddling with a stove. ;)

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
There have been several posts about cat maintenance. I'm just poking fun, it's about the same level of maintenance/cleaning that I perform on both of my stoves, but they are not typical non cats. The upper chamber on the Morso is an ash/soot collector as is the entire cooker. On the bright side I don't get much if any build up in my chimney for either stove.
I did my cat maintenance because I was bored and wanted to save the $200.00 on a new cat lol.. turned into a fun night and I learned something new.
As far as others, I suspect higher draft is causing fly ash to be sucked into the cat.

There have been several posts about cat maintenance. I'm just poking fun, it's about the same level of maintenance/cleaning that I perform on both of my stoves, but they are not typical non cats.
My cat maintenance has been reduced to pulling it out each summer and vacuuming it. Then I wrap a new gasket around it, and slide it back into the hole. Done. I replaced them both after 3 years, and will probably do the same again after 6 years, because the cost isn’t really enough to make fussing around with them worth the time.

Maintenance doesn't sound like any picnic, compared to my cat stove. They don't have an ash grate either and as we know, that bites.. ==c
Yeah, but you have the only other stove on the market that can really compete with BK on any level of true merit. I don’t think anyone has ever said anything bad about Woodstock, other than that they’re perhaps the only stove more ugly than the older/traditional BK models. [emoji14]

If I have extra time, I'd rather blow it loafing on the internet instead of fiddling with a stove. ;)
Exactly. I have time to burn at 10pm, or a few minutes here and there while waiting on a slow computer at work, but daylight hours at home are precious and few. Get that bizzatch loaded and cruising, then get outside!

Ok, time for another dumb question (I didn’t see where the manual covered it) but is there a particular way to let the fire die? Is it okay to literally do nothing and just let it die. No worries having the cat stay engaged as the probe drops to inactive? Should I open the bypass if I know I’m going to let a fire go out and leave it open?

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb question.

Once you set it, you then forget it. Come back once the cat needle calls for more wood, i.e. time to reload.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Ok, time for another dumb question (I didn’t see where the manual covered it) but is there a particular way to let the fire die? Is it okay to literally do nothing and just let it die. No worries having the cat stay engaged as the probe drops to inactive? Should I open the bypass if I know I’m going to let a fire go out and leave it open?

No need to, just let it go..

No reason to open the bypass regardless what you do. The bypass has its use and it should be use just for those purposes.

Hi

1. I have installed Chinook 30 with fan kit and deck. I found the Cat thermostat never reaches to the maximum temperature. Also, the stove top never reaches 400 F.

I am not sure if it's due to the convection deck on the top of the stove since it forms air insulation.

2. in lowest burn setting, the Cat temp stays very low, but still within active zone.

any opinions?

Thank you in advance

Yes, the Chinook convection deck is not the actual stovetop. The reading will be lower. If the cat thermometer stays in the active zone it's good.

Also, the fan running will make the thermometer read falsely low due to cooler air rushing past it. I believe the recommendation is to turn off the fan for 15 mins and then read the temp.
Hi

1. I have installed Chinook 30 with fan kit and deck. I found the Cat thermostat never reaches to the maximum temperature. Also, the stove top never reaches 400 F.

I am not sure if it's due to the convection deck on the top of the stove since it forms air insulation.

2. in lowest burn setting, the Cat temp stays very low, but still within active zone.

any opinions?

Thank you in advance
Yes, the Chinook convection deck is not the actual stovetop. The reading will be lower. If the cat thermometer stays in the active zone it's good.

Apparently this isn’t my week. Just had a backpuff on a reload. Smoke woofed out seams of stove top adapter. Had a roaring bed of glowing coals, and the wood was offgassing quickly. Took about 20 seconds for the flame to erupt, but when it did - woof. I’ve been doing reloads twice per day last 3 years and no backpuffs. What gives?

Apparently this isn’t my week. Just had a backpuff on a reload. Smoke woofed out seams of stove top adapter. Had a roaring bed of glowing coals, and the wood was offgassing quickly. Took about 20 seconds for the flame to erupt, but when it did - woof. I’ve been doing reloads twice per day last 3 years and no backpuffs. What gives?
Throw a couple kindlings on in the front on the coals first and let them get going, then load. That way you've got some flame going to eat the smoke.

If the spring is constricted from high heat output, you reload and turn down, the firebox winds up with a rich air fuel mixture. Reduce thermostat settings incrementally...allow spring to relax.

Reactions: Ashful

How about leaving the loading door cracked just until the new load catches well enough to keep flaming with the door closed?

How often should I clean my chimney?
although my burning is going well (ash) my wood is not ideal 25% mc. How much creosote before it becomes a risk? Does a bk lesson that risk? My bk does run on higher side the majority of the time because my home is large.

If the spring is constricted from high heat output, you reload and turn down, the firebox winds up with a rich air fuel mixture. Reduce thermostat settings incrementally...allow spring to relax.

Don't say "air fuel mixture" in this thread, or you know you are going to get a half dozen PMs asking where the best spot is to drill the firebox for the probe.... ;lol

Don't say "air fuel mixture" in this thread, or you know you are going to get a half dozen PMs asking where the best spot is to drill the firebox for the probe.... ;lol

View attachment 254301
Wide band wood stove? I can dig it. Maybe a boost/vac measurement would be fun too, but I guess some folks already have mag guages ;lol

wanted to check on things. What is this dangling in front of this flame shield piece, this is behind the cat

wanted to check on things. What is this dangling in front of this flame shield piece, this is behind the cat
The flame shield is behind the cat??

Ok. So there’s perforated sheet Then cat. Then this flat piece of steel hanging on two tabs. There’s a piece dangling in front of the flat steel. Cat thermometer probe? It’s preventing that piece of steel from moving so I can get behind to vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.