2018 sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
After foregoing my annual cleaning last year, the system was cleaned before this year's start of burning.
Last season the season since 2006 that I did not sweep, clean & inspect everything. I am pleased with the results, but will still sweep every year, as I consider it cheap easy insurance, and offers many good nights sleep. As we always discuss, a rag is stuffed in the rear vertical channel opening, which I leave mushroomed over the edges so that when I pull the rag away, nothing accidentally fall into the channel. ON top of that I rest a defector plate I made out of some scrap aluminum I had laying around from my roofing days. It also protects from crud going down into the channel.

A couple years back I replaced the eroded 1/2" opening cap screen with some galvanized 1/2" I had laying around. It is holding up okay, and it was free. Since my 2nd year of burning, I never had issues with a clogged cap screen. I was actually very surprised with the limited build up after 2 years burning without cleaning.

I burn mostly pine, poplar and light stuff in the shoulder season, and fill ins between loads on the single digit windy days. Night loads a re mostly oak if not all oak. Daytime loads are usually maple, cherry, ash, walnut, and other woods I am not super high on due to the amount of ash they leave, but they serve the purpose.
I am on 4 or 5 year old wood this year, I lost count.
I may get a new load this year to process, as it has been a few years since I have had a load of oles delivered, and I am down to about 3 or 4 years supply.

Surprisingly, the sweepings didn't amount to much more than 1 yrs worth. Same old fine ash with a small amount of coffee grind consistency included. What I expect to find every year. Nothing exciting there.

I made a new gasket with the high temp ceramic paperboard I purchased off ebay. I get about 2-3 years out of 1.
I vacuumed out the fans, which is done every year, or minimal every other year.

I am planning in my mind that I will install cultured stone on the block chimney with copper flashings at the bottom, and a copper cap at the top to cover the aging crown cement. Not sure when I will get to this, but it will get done before I bite the dust.

And a few shots of the peaceful roof top view while I was up there sweeping.

Attachments

• 2018 sweeping
    AFTER.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 362
  • 2018 sweeping
    BEFORE-CAP AFTER 2 YRS BURNING.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 323
Sweepings, deflector, rag, new gasket

Attachments

• 2018 sweeping
    AFTER 2 YRS.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 359
  • 2018 sweeping
    REAR CHANNEL CLEANOUT DEFLECTOR.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 2018 sweeping
    REAR CHANNEL RAG BLOCKING OPENING.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 362
  • 2018 sweeping
    NEW HOME MADE GASKET.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: heavy hammer
View from the roof

Attachments

• 2018 sweeping
    VIEW FROM THE ROOF.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 2018 sweeping
    VIEW FROM THE ROOF2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 2018 sweeping
    VIEW FROM THE ROOF3.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 2018 sweeping
    VIEW FROM THE ROOF4.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 293
Nice, and as it should be.

Wow, you still have a lot of leaves on the trees for Nov 11.

Nice, and as it should be.

Wow, you still have a lot of leaves on the trees for Nov 11.
This was 2-3 weeks ago. The leaves mostly came off last week. But many came off in the summer due to all the rain we had.

Very nice, insulated liner, right?

Very nice, insulated liner, right?
Yes, Duraliner double wall insulated rigid, with 5' of flex at the bottom. drafts & cleans like a charm.

Awsome view, not a neighbour in sight!
Only see neighbors if I want to. Close enough in case of emergency, fare enough that I don't need curtains.

Yes, Duraliner double wall insulated rigid, with 5' of flex at the bottom. drafts & cleans like a charm.
Nice, I noticed that what I sweep out looks like yours, now that I have insulated liner. Before with uninsulated, I had about 3 times as much and all of it was a light coffee ground/powder consistency. Not all that bad, but definitely a difference with insulated.

Reactions: Hogwildz
Nice, I noticed that what I sweep out looks like yours, now that I have insulated liner. Before with uninsulated, I had about 3 times as much and all of it was a light coffee ground/powder consistency. Not all that bad, but definitely a difference with insulated.
Absolutely! And it drafts a hell of a lot better.
I did my own install, so the labor saved more than paid for the extra cost.
Plus, I know it was done right, and a bit overkill. Better more safe, then more sorry. Well worth the cost.

Nice to see you can get away with every other year clean outs if you need to. Mine looked about the same as yours after this years cleaning, just a little less quantity. I have a 30' ft double walled as well and drafts really well!! :)

Nice to see you can get away with every other year clean outs if you need to. Mine looked about the same as yours after this years cleaning, just a little less quantity. I have a 30' ft double walled as well and drafts really well!! :)
Thanks, I don't plan on making it habit to skip cleaning. I had a lot going on last year, and spaced too long, then boom it was cold and needed the heat. I like doing the sweeping actually, for as long as I am able to.

Hogs, you're alive ;)

Hugs to ya :p

The stuff you get off eBay to make your own gasket how does it come in small rolls? What size dimensions do you get for the ceramic board. Any info would be greatly appreciated. How is it compared to the factory stuff? As I'm sure you know the factory ones only last a year. Beautiful pics from the roof. A lot like my setup, neighbors close but not to close.

Last edited:
The stuff you get off eBay to make your own gasket how does it come in small rolls? What size dimensions do you get for the ceramic board. Any info would be greatly appreciated. How is it compared to the factory stuff? As I'm sure you know the factory ones only last a year. Beautiful pics from the roof. A lot like my setup, neighbors close but not to close.

I got it off ebay, but the seller isn't on there any longer.
here is what I pourchased
FIBERFRAX CERAMIC FIBER 970-J 1/8 X24 HIGH
TEMP INSULATION SOLD BY THE FT
It's okay, I bought 2' worth for $17.50
Makes approx 8 pcs

Lasts 2-3 years depending on how much you shift the baffle while loading etc.
I am looking for something that will last in the 5+ year range.

If you search high temp ceramic insulation, that will get you in the right direction.
This may be the same or similar:
https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/a...nfazLtXZWzIRSguCTqzvEwnXaR3Zr-rBoCGhMQAvD_BwE

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thanks Hogwildz as I'm sure that you know the factory stuff last a year so I'll start looking. Couple years back I purchased five extra gaskets from the dealer. The shipping was almost as much as the gaskets, but he was able to bundle it in with a big order so that helped out. Does it matter if you use a thicker insulation than what is currently on there?