2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy new year to all of you in this wonderful forum. Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Do newer BK Princess stoves use 7/8" rope gasket? Plan on ordering some as none of the stores around carry that oddball size.

Do newer BK Princess stoves use 7/8" rope gasket? Plan on ordering some as none of the stores around carry that oddball size.

It's not just the size, you need the fancy high density stuff. It's like 30$ to get the real deal from bk. Lots of time to do it too so I recommend just ordering bk rope.

Reactions: sequoia
It's not just the size, you need the fancy high density stuff. It's like 30$ to get the real deal from bk. Lots of time to do it too so I recommend just ordering bk rope.
Ok. Good to know. I was going to order the graph-o-glass from Rutland. I'm heading to town on Tuesday so I'll run by the BK Dealer and see if they have it. Went by yesterday and wouldn't ya know they closed 4 hrs early for New year's.

I really don't even know if mine is bad. The lower corners of the glass gets dirty but that seems common. It just seems really hard for a door gasket so I figured I'd just get a new one.

Any other maintenance items to keep on hand?

I would not pre buy gaskets for the bk. The door and bypass gaskets are adjustable tension so you know that when your adjustment runs out to order a new one. I had the gasket shipped to my house and it was fast. I keep no spare stove parts. If your life depended on the stove for heat every day then a backup combustor with gasket is about the only thing I can think of that can be kept on hand. Really you could burn with a dead cat if you had to.

Thinking about it now, time would be better spent making sure that your other, automatic thermostatic heat source is ready than to stockpile spare stove parts.

I'm excited for you for Tuesday tar.

I definitely would get a extra cat gasket to keep on hand. It's a one time use item. If you pull the cat, you will
Need a new gasket. I couldn't find it locally either.

I would not pre buy gaskets for the bk. The door and bypass gaskets are adjustable tension so you know that when your adjustment runs out to order a new one. I had the gasket shipped to my house and it was fast. I keep no spare stove parts. If your life depended on the stove for heat every day then a backup combustor with gasket is about the only thing I can think of that can be kept on hand. Really you could burn with a dead cat if you had to.

Thinking about it now, time would be better spent making sure that your other, automatic thermostatic heat source is ready than to stockpile spare stove parts.

I'm excited for you for Tuesday tar.
I am excited to buddy! Our winter has really only just started so I will get to burn it a lot yet this year. I still have propane as a back up and I have been using it of late but I don't want to start that again as I hate burning dollars! lol I do plan on burning 24/7. We started working on getting 3 years ahead on our firewood supply today by splitting and stacking 2 cord of Pin and Red oak.Received a call from my logging buddy last night and he turned me on to 40 White oak tops! Life is good! I will get started on them this weekend after the ground freezes back up and then a long over due wood shed is in order.

Reactions: Highbeam
A side note...its only taking 7 business days from the time I ordered to receive the stove...pretty good for this time of the year.

On my princess ultra, the convection deck sits too close to the cat probe too. I just spin the dial 180 degrees so that it's upside down but the needle clears. This is a design mistake by bk.
This is a new one to me, I've never seen this happen.

I fully understand manufacturing processes and residual cosmetic issues. I don't consider this a cosmetic mistake but rather a engineering mistake that should be corrected and unacceptable on a $3500 stove. I am not opposed to machining the convection deck if that is possible. You have a picture to share of the problem? I am assuming it is the bottom of the inside perimeter of the hole that you look through to read the meter?
I've installed dozens and dozens of BKs, I've never once seen this issue. It's isolated.

I've installed dozens and dozens of BKs, I've never once seen this issue. It's isolated.
Thats good to know because I got my shorts torqued pretty tight about it...lol Hope I am lucky...

Last edited:
Schlemmer Brothers Hearth & Home
108 W. Canal St.
Wabash,In. 46992
260-563-3417
I checked with Old Dominion Freight Saturday and they have it on the truck.

Weird. How much clearance normally exists? We'll find out on Tuesday!

This is a new one to me, I've never seen this happen.

You have now. :) It was the same with the BK probe.

Reactions: Highbeam
The convection deck is an option on the princess correct? I can't remember for sure.

The convection deck is an option on the princess correct? I can't remember for sure.

Yes an option. It only fits one way. Man I like that labeled meter.

Yes an option. It only fits one way. Man I like that labeled meter.
That's were I could be wrong then. We rarely do an optional convection deck. The few I've done were ok from what I remember. I was mistakenly thinking of the PI and the King, where the probe recesses into the deck.

Has anyone approached Condar or BKVP about this?

Here is what the inside on the King looks like...
Someone asked if it had shields. There are some in the firebox and on the outside as well.

Reactions: Tar12
Cavernous comes to mind to describe that fire box!

Status
Not open for further replies.