2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By any chance do you have it connected to fresh air outside via dry vent pass through?

Lol ok, just making sure there was no anti reverse flapper blocking air flow, do you have an appliance adapter going from the stove collar to the 8" dvl pipe?

No it has its own dedicated 4 in insulated air duct appox, 6 ft long .
The amazing thing is the CAT stays active right down to the smallest glowing piece of wood and just open the thermostat a little and a flame comes back immediately.
Lol ok, just making sure there was no anti reverse flapper blocking air flow, do you have an appliance adapter going from the stove collar to the 8" dvl pipe?
No, pipe right on top of stove 8 in. all the way to cap. I also checked pipe for creosote none, all that was in there was some light black fluff and it looked like the inside of pipe had a light coat of black spray paint . That's about 4 months of burning unbelievably clean.

You might be having a connection problem at the stove collar, it's a simple fire, you just need a 8" stainless steal appliance adapter, it will help make a solid tight connection to your black pipe

The amazing thing is the CAT stays active right down to the smallest glowing piece of wood and just open the thermostat a little and a flame comes back immediately.

No, pipe right on top of stove 8 in. all the way to cap. I also checked pipe for creosote none, all that was in there was some light black fluff and it looked like the inside of pipe had a light coat of black spray paint . That's about 4 months of burning unbelievably clean.
Also the outside air pipe is on the floor below the stove so no flow reversal should happen.

You might be having a connection problem at the stove collar, it's a simple fire, you just need a 8" stainless steal appliance adapter, it will help make a solid tight connection to your black pipe
Ok not sure what that is I would have thought the store or certified installer would know that is required.
How does that make the door leak smoke ?

Mid September. I'm not pointing fingers at BK as I'm sure they are super busy and in no part is it their fault to my knowledge. Just frustrated at how poorly the dealer handled it.
It's our fault! The dealers was not notified properly.

Oak = Outside Air Kit in this instance.

In oher words, is your stove drawing combustion air from inside the house, or from outside the house?

This may help to find a smoke leak turn all the lights out in the room while fire is still going get out your brightest flashlight shine light around stove it worked for me!

Ok not sure what that is I would have thought the store or certified installer would know that is required.
How does that make the door leak smoke ?
I'm thinking that its not the door seal, is the seal bright white still all the way around?

yup, I've got one. I've been running it a little bit but it hasn't really been cold enough yet
Would you care to tell us your experience so far? Burn times, ease of use. Thanks.

Would you care to tell us your experience so far? Burn times, ease of use. Thanks.

This is my first experience with an insert (or wood stove for that matter). It has been extremely easy to use and throws out a lot of heat. It has been pretty easy to get a fire started and the insert warmed up to the active cat range.
I have not been able to achieve very long burn times though. I haven't been able to get a super long burn time with it though. A full firebox of wood is reduced to hot coals in about 6 hours. It will continue to put out heat for a few more hours after that I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue and have been working with my dealer. Based on feedback from other uses I suspect I may have an issue with the thermostat. When I turn it down to low, I still get a good amount of flames.

This is my first experience with an insert (or wood stove for that matter). It has been extremely easy to use and throws out a lot of heat. It has been pretty easy to get a fire started and the insert warmed up to the active cat range.
I have not been able to achieve very long burn times though. I haven't been able to get a super long burn time with it though. A full firebox of wood is reduced to hot coals in about 6 hours. It will continue to put out heat for a few more hours after that I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue and have been working with my dealer. Based on feedback from other uses I suspect I may have an issue with the thermostat. When I turn it down to low, I still get a good amount of flames.

If you're running an insert, I suspect you're running blower fans. Fans keep the thermostat cooler, and thus more open, resulting in shorter burn times. I can get 40 hours out of my stove with fans off, but nowhere near that at the same thermostat setting, with the fans running.

So, in discussing burn times, be sure you're not comparing to those running free-standing stoves without blowers. Make note of your blower speed, and include that in the comparisons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you expand on the door gasket problem and glass retainer hardware issues?
I purchased my King in Feb. of this year and have had a smoke smell problem from day 1. I love the stove and it performs better than I expected with 30 to 44hr burn times. I have very strong smoke smell coming from the top left corner of the door. I have contacted the store I purchased it from and was told it was just paint smell and would go away after a while it never did. Next called the BK factory and was told wood was too wet so got wood from 10 to 15% MC measured with 2 different BK meters. Still smoke smell no matter what wood I use. Called factory again and was told add more chimney so added 3 ft more got 17 ft from top of stove 8 in. double wall ICC worth a fortune, straight up no bends,.Still got smoke smell , called factory again and was told that it was impossible there is a low pressure in the stove cannot leak smoke like that wood is too wet. I tried adjusting the door tighter on gasket no improvement. I had a certified installer look at the install and he said it was perfect.
Well here we are 7 months later using wood stove again and I still got strong smoke smell coming from top left corner of door it seems to be worse when cat is glowing and temp. needle is 3/4 or higher. Door gasket looks fine to me cannot see where it is leaking.
Maybe I have to replace door gasket after only 3 months of use .
My cousin and i bought 2 Kings at the same time his is smoke free same install as mine.
The smoke smell is so strong some times it will make me cough and burn my eyes but cannot see anything wrong except for the strong smell at top left corner of door.
If I could cure this issue this would be the perfect dream stove.

I replaced my door gasket at the end of last season and found that the door glass retainers were loose and a rock (chrome slag from manufacturing) was stuck under the retainer so the glass may have been leaky all along. When anybody replaces the door gasket verify tightness of the retainer nuts and also that they are laying down and squeezing the glass properly. The nuts are under the door gasket so you can't really check them without replacing the door gasket. You can check glass for looseness by palming the glass on each side and trying to move it within the door frame.

Door gaskets are very important on these stoves. Leaks here, or from the glass, are what cause 95% of cat failures according to BK. Also, these leaks allow uncontrolled cold combustion air to enter the firebox. If, and this is a big if, the firebox is always under negative pressure as you would expect from strong draft then no smoke should exit these leaks.

When my stove is burning I can stick my nose close to the top of the door on the hinge side and usually smell smoke. I can also stick my nose next to my dog's butthole and smell poop. I don't believe that the smell of smoke is conclusive evidence of an actual smoke leak though.

I replaced my door gasket at the end of last season and found that the door glass retainers were loose and a rock (chrome slag from manufacturing) was stuck under the retainer so the glass may have been leaky all along. When anybody replaces the door gasket verify tightness of the retainer nuts and also that they are laying down and squeezing the glass properly. The nuts are under the door gasket so you can't really check them without replacing the door gasket. You can check glass for looseness by palming the glass on each side and trying to move it within the door frame.

Door gaskets are very important on these stoves. Leaks here, or from the glass, are what cause 95% of cat failures according to BK. Also, these leaks allow uncontrolled cold combustion air to enter the firebox. If, and this is a big if, the firebox is always under negative pressure as you would expect from strong draft then no smoke should exit these leaks.

When my stove is burning I can stick my nose close to the top of the door on the hinge side and usually smell smoke. I can also stick my nose next to my dog's butthole and smell poop. I don't believe that the smell of smoke is conclusive evidence of an actual smoke leak though.

I won't comment on your dog issue, but you are correct. Door rope smells like smoke. It's that simple. And you are correct, it does not mean there is a leak.

Reactions: Ashful
The Princess thermostat is on the side, the 25 thermostat is on the bottom alongside the two fans (but not behind them), I am interested to see how the 25 thermostat works with ash on the bottom of the firebox, if that throws it off any. Fans need to be run at the same speed as the thermostat setting (low,med,high).

I won't comment on your dog issue, but you are correct. Door rope smells like smoke. It's that simple. And you are correct, it does not mean there is a leak.

I believe that this phenomenon might explain a lot of the BK smoke leak issues. People think that their stoves are spewing smoke into the room when really they just have a woodstove that has a rope gasket with gobs of creosote on the fire side (pretty unique to BK) and don't realize that the odor of that creo might just be detectable on the outside of that same rope gasket.

Haze in the room? Detectable stench in your house? Consider smoke infiltration from outdoors or perhaps this odd backpuff occurance.

Reactions: Woody Stover
If you're running an insert, I suspect you're running blower fans. Fans keep the thermostat cooler, and thus more open, resulting in shorter burn times. I can get 40 hours out of my stove with fans off, but nowhere near that at the same thermostat setting, with the fans running.

So, in discussing burn times, be sure you're not comparing to those running free-standing stoves without blowers. Make note of your blower speed, and include that in the comparisons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How much less of a burn do you get with the fans running?

I've been sure to keep my fan matching the thermostat setting. When I flip it down to low the fan goes down also.

I know I'm not going to get burn times anywhere near what a freestanding stove gets, but I'm more hoping to get a longer burn than 6-8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.