1945 Chimney - Bricks only, no liner, and a concrete blockage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Log cabin man

Nov 3, 2017
Butler, TN
I recently purchased a 1945 log cabin with a brick chimney running up through the center of the house from the unfinished basement through the first floor and through the attic out to the roof. I'm trying to install a wood stove into the basement so that I can heat the house through vents from the basement in the floor's. The living room and kitchen are small and there not enough space for a hearth. The basement is dirt floors.

I have two problems:

The first is that the chimney flue appears to have no liner and is only the raw bricks on the interior of the chimney itself is made out of. Will I be able to use the stainless steel flexible liner without having to do any other modifications to the chimney? Do I need to have a TC liner installed?

The other question I have is that it appears there is a concrete blockage in between the basement access point to the flu and the living room and kitchen access points to the flu, and I'm trying to figure out how to remove it. From the attached photo it appears there is a 4 inch around hole in this concrete where the rest of the area around it has been slightly busted out. You can see in the bottom left corner where it hasn't broken there is soot on the original concrete surface on the bottom which indicates that this chimney has been used from the basement since this concrete was put there.

Attachments

• 1945 Chimney - Bricks only, no liner, and a concrete blockage
    IMG_0855.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 118
This chimney will need an insulated stainless steel liner. To install the insulated liner the concrete blockage will need to be busted out.

What are the inner dimensions of the chimney?

T
Hello,

Do I use a 90" angle of some sort to curve it at the bottom to fit the stove piping?

Is this what you had in mind? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chim-Ca...Chimney-Liner-Extension-Kit-SWCL610/204673787
That's a liner extension. You'll want a full length liner. This is a decent site to go to for information and purchase. They have videos in the Articles & Info section that should be helpful.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/
A tee is put in the liner at the point of the stove thimble. It is in two pieces and the snout is added after the liner with the tee's straight section has been lowered down the chimney. It really helps to have an assistant doing this part.