11 year old BK Princess in new to me house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
To bad the BK was in such poor shape, the same load of wood would have gone 20 hrs or better in the princess

To bad the BK was in such poor shape, the same load of wood would have gone 20 hrs or better in the princess
I'm happier with this stove than a BK. But I will be running the BK in my shop eventually...

But also like I said that's a loose partial load. And fairly small splits. Plus I'm still getting it dialed in.

I'm looking forward to the cold weather so I can really pack this thing full and see what it can do.

I'm happier with this stove than a BK. But I will be running the BK in my shop eventually...

But also like I said that's a loose partial load. And fairly small splits. Plus I'm still getting it dialed in.

I'm looking forward to the cold weather so I can really pack this thing full and see what it can do.

If I didn't want to deal with a cat stove or I wanted a prettier stove, that alderlea line would be probably the top choice. Maybe a T5 though since I couldn't deal with so much heat.

Reactions: M1SF1T
I covered the additional air holes yesterday with aluminum tape for some testing of what I can do with this stove.

Last night I loaded a 85% full load of large splits of doug fir and medium splits of maple on a bed of coals, dialed the air back slowly and let it fully flame up before shutting off the air entirely. I may have waited too long. STT was 750 when I went to bed around 11.

8:30 am this morning the stove is cruising along with STT at 300 and a still 30%+ load of large full log coals and char in fire box. I opened up the air and the stove flashed right back up. STT is up to 475 now at 9:15.

Glass was pretty dirty but it's cleaning up now as the temp rises. Am I bringing on any issues burning overnight at that temp in this Alderlea stove?

Were there still secondaries in the morning?
If not I think (...) it may have ran too low, leading to gunk in the flue (as on the Windows)

At least I think that with 30% left and a quick flaming up, there should have been secondaries still.
I may be wrong tho.

Last edited:
I don't think there was.

I'm pretty new on running this stove, but should there be a secondary burn that late in the cycle? I guess it was more a charcoal phase this morning - big almost full log sized ones and with some flame.

I suspect that you're right and I ran it too low though based on the window build up.

Now almost 11:00, STT is at 400... still lots of large coals.

Wait, I'm sorry. I thought this was a secondary burn stove
I have no idea what you mean by closed secondary air on a BK...?

Wait, I'm sorry. I thought this was a secondary burn stove
I have no idea what you mean by closed secondary air on a BK...?
Sorry. I should probably start a new thread. BK Princess is out, PE Alderlea is in...

There's is a secondary burn on PE stoves and their EBO system openings I have covered for this overnight burn trial.

Yes if it's black glass in a tube stove, and a lot of fuel left, i think it went too low.